Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Parker Hale

Thoughts on Parker Hale

The Sako I was looking at earlier is not the right one, very sadly.

However, I am considering a Parker Hale 308 or 6.5 X 55 instead.

Anything to avoid, look for etc. Any particular models to look for. Ant thoughts or feedback would be great

SD Regular
    When new all Parker Hale rifles were warranted to shoot a three inch diagram at one hundred yards with factory ammunition. Which, at the time, was probably Norma as P-H were the importers.

Now any P-H today is at least ten to twenty years old. But age is no measurement of use. I've seen P-H rifles that look, and are, in every respect new and unused say maybe less than one hundred rounds fired. Equally I see some that are shot out.

Look for matching bolt (number is usually pencil engraved underneath), check condition of barrel throat and barrel, check tip of woodwork at fore-end for splits and cracks. If possible remove woodwork to check for crack in woodwork across magazine well area.

Also check for the condition of the bolt face and that any screw holes on the receiver for 'scope mounting are clear and clean. If it has bases on of a type that you will not be using check that they can be removed. That the screws are not seized.

Check headspace AND in Magnum calibres that the thing actually does feed cartridges.

The least desirable models are the bast**dised Weatherby copies. The most? Some say the M81 Classic others the Safari models.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    there is a lad on here who has a PH that was built by the man himself for himself with a letter saying so.

its 1 of 4 cals built as a one of job, (for him only)

its a 6mm rem and i think the other three where 7mm 08, 30.06 and one other that escapes my memory, but they are so well built its amazing, it shoots like a dream and it so nice that he will not get it screw cut, (yet).

Im no PH guy but i have had 2 in my time a 243 and a 308 and both shot well with home loaded ammo, the 308 shot better than the 243 at about 1/2 at 100 with 3 shots,

but pay head to these guys that know them better than most, they know what to look for etc.

regards

Bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

split stocks are by far the worst issue IMO

I have had 3 and still have two
    simple, easy to fix, strip, clean
    classic design and engineering
    proper materials, none of this plastic fantastic cr@p
    decent walnut too

mauser action isnt everyones cup of tea but then neither are Blasers! it has been proven in wars so that is good enough for me

I shot a touching group out of my Parker Hale 1100 lightweight .243
    my .270 shoots well under an inch/MOA with "Whack-a-mole" homeloads and shot another touching group when someone more qualified than me made it some ammo!

my Parker Hale 270 is over 40 years old and it is a great bit of kit. I am though at this moment replacing the stock.
    Tusker

love mine. i have an 1100 lwt in 308 its probably early eighties but looks brand new and has been said before everything is proper materials not plastic

regards pete

Rather have a BSA CF2

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Rather have a BSA CF2
    oo really
    nothing wrong with them but aesthetically not in the same class. I looked at one when fishing for a 243

now the BSA majestics are nice

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    oo really
    nothing wrong with them but aesthetically not in the same class. I looked at one when fishing for a 243

now the BSA majestics are nice
    Funny you should say that. There's been a Majestic in .243 for sale in my local gunshop for ages. Very pretty woodwork, still got its iron sights as I recall.

I've had two PHs, both 1200s, one from new. Nothing wrong with them. Not a great fan of the Mauser action (sloppy, high bolt throw etc) - or is it a Springfield action? - unsure, and the light barrel I found a bit too light in .308. Zeroing involved lots of tea breaks. My CF2 is a heavy varminter and feels like an old Sako. Lovely action, like a piston. In a shoot out I'd back it against a PH. It does have a certain 70s style about it, though ergonomics and fit are exemplary. If I had more mony than sense I'd put a custom stock on it. Maybe one day I'll take wire wool Nitromoors to it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    there is a lad on here who has a PH that was built by the man himself for himself with a letter saying so.

its 1 of 4 cals built as a one of job, (for him only)

its a 6mm rem and i think the other three where 7mm 08, 30.06 and one other that escapes my memory, but they are so well built its amazing, it shoots like a dream and it so nice that he will not get it screw cut, (yet).

Im no PH guy but i have had 2 in my time a 243 and a 308 and both shot well with home loaded ammo, the 308 shot better than the 243 at about 1/2 at 100 with 3 shots,

but pay head to these guys that know them better than most, they know what to look for etc.

regards

Bob.
    Bob,

These are the rifles built by Richard Wilson while he was at Parker Hale - he built three for his own use in 6mm Remington, .25-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum. I have the 7mm Remington Magnum. They were all built on pre-WWII Mauser Obendorf actions, of which PH had a little cache in storage, so not exactly standard PH offerings.

I have two other PH rifles at the moment and am acquiring a 3rd as a guest rifle:

The first one is a later model Safari Deluxe in .270W and with an unusually figured walnut stock, used as my go-to rifle for almost everything. It lives a hard life and has travelled all over the world but still holds 1/2" at 100 yards with 130gn home-loads.

The second is a mint early Safari Deluxe in .308 built on an FN action - has done no work at all, shoots sub-1" but it will probably go soon as it's not a calibre I particularly like and, anyway, I'd prefer a stutzen.

The last is a standard 1200 in 7 x 57 built on what looks like an Argentine action, bought by a mate for 100, carefully renovated and shoots sub-1" with home-loads.

If you shop around, it's still fairly easy to buy really nice Parker Hale or BSA rifles that are all but unused and generally cost under 200 if you are prepared to delve into the dustier end of the RFD's shelves. Modernised sympathetically for modern higher mag' optics (open sights removed, screw holes neatly plugged, better scope rings and bases) or used as intended with open sights or low mag' scopes in dovetail rings, they make really nice stalking rifles.

Adam.