Thread: N160

N160

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of trying some vhit n160 behind a hornady 100g interlock soft point boat tail in my 243.

Have any of you used this combination? If so how accurate is it and hows the velocity and bullet performance.

Thanks guys

Regards Pete

I tried it in my rem 700 and couldn't get them to stablise (1 in 10 twist) befroe the cases started showing pressure signs. Now use N160 behind a 87g V-max.

My Sako Varminter [1 in 10 twist.] shoots better than half-an-inch groups at 100yds with 46gr of N160, Federal GM210M primer and the 87gr V Max. bullet out of Lapua brass.
    Av. velocity was 3190 fps with 36 fps spread over 6 shots.

Using R.P. brass, Remington standard primer, same powder charge but with the 75gr V Max. bullet it also shoots better than half-inch groups.
    Av. velocity was 3266 fps with 48 fps spread over 5 shots.

Hope this helps !

HWH.

N160

I would check the twist rate in your rifle before you get your 100grain heads, I used to have a Sako .243 a few years back, It was a tack driver with stuff in 80's weight, but couldn't hit a barn door @ 50 with anything heavier!

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933
    My Sako Varminter [1 in 10 twist.] shoots better than half-an-inch groups at 100yds with 46gr of N160, Federal GM210M primer and the 87gr V Max. bullet out of Lapua brass.
    Av. velocity was 3190 fps with 36 fps spread over 6 shots.

Using R.P. brass, Remington standard primer, same powder charge but with the 75gr V Max. bullet it also shoots better than half-inch groups.
    Av. velocity was 3266 fps with 48 fps spread over 5 shots.

Hope this helps !

HWH.
    i got a sako varmint what is the length of your rounds hope this makes sense thanx

Hi.
    Overall length of those bullets is 2.583 inches.

I have since found a one-hole group using the 68gr Berger HP with 40.5gr
    of Viht. N140 ignited by the Fed.210 match primer in RP brass.
    OAL is now 2.646 and just touching one of the lands. [there is one small mark on the bullet if it is removed and checked.]
    These bullets are quite stiff and do little damage to rabbits or crows, in fact I have had one or two crows which flew away and then fell dead out of the sky unlike the V.Max which spreads them around a bit !

HWH.

Vit 160 is a good powder very consistant and give good SD,as for the 100gr bullet most of not all 243s I have dely with wont shoot the 100 gr due to the twist,try a 87gr Hornady BTHP there a fantastic all round bullet and very cheap,I reload for a mate who wont use anything else

n160

Hi guys

Having worked up some loads with this powder and 100 grain bullets i am very impressed with the results, sub half inch groups @ 100 yards.
    I haven't got a cronograph so can't tell you the figures.
    Thought i'd give you a quick update

Regards Pete

Good day

What mix gave the best result?
    C.O.L ? powder weight in grains?

regards
    HSH