Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08... What's the best weight for accuracy

7mm-08... What's the best weight for accuracy

Hi, I'm awaiting the arrival of a 7mm-08 I've ordered - I reload (well just got into it!) so wondered what weight bullet everyone recommends? Mainly fallow in mind, but hopefully reds and the odd boar in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Hi, I'm awaiting the arrival of a 7mm-08 I've ordered - I reload (well just got into it!) so wondered what weight bullet everyone recommends? Mainly fallow in mind, but hopefully reds and the odd boar in the future.
    depends on twist rate,i presume its a factory rifle so it wont have an exotic twist rate so 120gr will de fine

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    depends on twist rate,i presume its a factory rifle so it wont have an exotic twist rate so 120gr will de fine
    It's a Brock and Norris rifle - I think the barrel will be from border barrels... No idea on twist rate!

i use 129 grn on fallow

Go as heavy for calibre as you can with boar.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Personally if I were messing with a 7-08 at the moment I'd get Nosler 140 BT's or Hornady 139 SST's !

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    It's a Brock and Norris rifle - I think the barrel will be from border barrels... No idea on twist rate!
    HI Mate, I also have a B+N Ratel which Mike built for me last year in 7mm-08. It shoots cloverleaf groups with 139gr SSTs and 140gr Hornady softpoints. I am sure Mike will sort you out.

ATB

Steve

Border's "Archer" barrels have a 1:8 twist which IMO is too fast for general purpose, thats why I didn't get one despite them being just down the road. if thats what yours is it will probably prefer a heavier bullet.

Thanks all much appreciated, guess I'll just ask mike!

My 7-08 has a Lothar 1 in 11 twist barrel built on a 700 by Steve Kershaw, it's very well mannered shoot's everything I have loaded for it from 130 gr Sierra to 175gr Hornady Round Nose. The advice Steve gave me regarding power choice for the caliber was to use a 'double compound' based one, I chose RL 15 & it worked very well. Looking back through my re-loading notes the 140gr Sierra SBT was THE most accuate but everything else is still < 0.5". Seen as you will also be re-loading you should have very good results, also it was an easy caliber to load for.