deformed case neck

riflehunter583

i have a new gun (second hand) .223 and after firing factory new ppu cartidges the spent cases all seem to have a flat mark on the case necks on one side after firing:

SAM_0250_zps376b2fde.jpg

i am interested to know if this is normal and if it would be a problem if i wanted to reload the cartidges?

or should i be looking for a problem with the throat in the gun i have brought or perhaps it just needs a good clean?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It might be worth inserting an empty case into the chamber by hand and then closing the bolt and extracting/ejecting the case as normal just to see if the problem is happening during extraction/ejection rather than during firing. That would help eliminate another factor.

strong ejector bud when you open it stop it dragging with your finger should stop it then either mod the ejector or at least you will know what it is.won't overly harm the brass.
hope it helps mike

This is what I want to see on SD. Simple questions on real situations answered by knowledgeable guys in simple terms. Well done guys. I often learn things I never thought I would.

As above, remingtons are prone for this. I have three Borden actions and they all done the same. Again as above remove the plunger and cut one coil at a time replacing every time to try. I have three Bordens that i have done now as i like my spent cases to fall out and land under the rifle instead of ejecting half way across Scotland. If reloading you will be wanting to find the cases easy once ejected :D

i have a new gun (second hand) .223 and after firing factory new ppu cartidges the spent cases all seem to have a flat mark on the case necks on one side after firing:

i am interested to know if this is normal and if it would be a problem if i wanted to reload the cartidges?

That's nothing to worry about. The flattening is the result of the case mouth being whacked against your rifle's ejection port. Try operating the bolt less energetically. :D In any event, your resizing die will bring the case mouth back into shape.

-JMS

Back