Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bisley is closed

Bisley is closed

So I'm just back from a 50 mile round trip to Bisley ranges, only to find upon arrival that they are closed because of the snow.

The staff tried to ring those who had booked but didn't have time to inform everyone.

So if you are going down for the afternoon session - don't bother !

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    not good when this happens,

take solace from the fact that they have saved some pour souls from standing in those cold butts for the best part of the day.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

It is also closed 21 - 25 Jan for maintenance work to be carried out.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by MauserM03 View Post
    It is also closed 21 - 25 Jan for maintenance work to be carried out.
    i think they need to sort it out full time, why on earth are we still one of the few ranges in the world shooting program where we use people in the buts.

sad really,

oops, at least you know about that closure.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    i think they need to sort it out full time, why on earth are we still one of the few ranges in the world shooting program where we use people in the buts.

sad really,

bob.
    Good point indeed Bob
    Perhaps if the Olympic shooting events had been allowed to go to Bisley together with improvements to the range setup we would all have a state of the art range system.
    But the ODA didnt allow that and chose to build at Woolwich and then plan to demolish- great investment eh!
    Driving around Bisley you can see it really is struggling financially - which is very sad.

They actually posted it on the web yesterday that the ranges were closed due to the weather and range maintenance work.

The olympics probably wouldn't have made a great deal of difference to the rifle range facilities at Bisley as there aren't any full bore olymic events. I think there was also an issue about promised funding for the Manchester commowealth games that they hosted and never got paid for. They did trial electronic targets but I understand that some of the control apparatus was stolen or damaged and they are still in dispute over who is responsible for replacing them.
    Yes all in all a charming old place is Bisley but the NRA is not without it's problems most of which are financial. I was shocked to hear what the actual individual membership of the NRA was, only some 5,000 odd individual members. Yes many affiliated clubs but not many individual members.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

sad really,

bob.
    it brings an income stream to young people that might struggle to get part time jobs, the electronic targets haven't worked since I have been going there.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Sadly the council at Bisley has a lot to blame itself for.. I am surprised they even know we have moved into the next cnetury. They still do not realise that there are more types of shooting sticks than the single shot target rifle. THAT is their downfall. Always has been and unless they really do wake up always will be.

The reason they do not have the grass roots support is that they DO NOT support the shooters themselves.

sad really,

bob.
    They did have electronic scoring a couple of years ago on the last few lanes on century around lanes 98-102 or something like that. It worked well for the most part, although we did shoot out the chain holding it up once. If I remember right they got stolen.

I was due down there this morning, but luckily got the message.

I suppose it is a reflection of how I see the place as being a little 'backward' technologically that I didn't even think to check the website !

I rather like Short Siberia as an old skool, tucked out of the way little place where everything is done manually and I quite enjoy pasting my targets up and checking scores.

I can imagine it is super frustrating for those shooting at 1000yards though !