Thread: Tested some hunting ammo

Tested some hunting ammo

I tested some ammo the other week,it was first test,it could of been really good but somehow I seemed to let one go on each group which I've have no reason for,all 4 shot groups at 100yds,it was with my 308 remy custom with armalon barrel and ace ultra s5 mod.Attachment 23689
    Last edited by swarovski; 19-01-2013 at 15:05.

Looks good. Was there any pattern to the loose shot? First shot, last shot, or was it more random? Regards JCS

Not really sure jcs,think they random,i did have trouble with my bipod that day,I modified it by shortening it,I sprayed it green to match the stock and I kept having probs with it retracting,think I saw a thread on sd to do with where shots go,too much thumb comes to mind,being a righty if I pulled a shot it would go right,can't recall the other ones

It would be nice to test from a bench with the sand bags

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Not really sure jcs,think they random,i did have trouble with my bipod that day,I modified it by shortening it,I sprayed it green to match the stock and I kept having probs with it retracting,think I saw a thread on sd to do with where shots go,too much thumb comes to mind,being a righty if I pulled a shot it would go right,can't recall the other ones
    No matter. Fine grouping. You'll iron out the flier.
    I took my 308 out the other afternoon and realized that I was really working far too hard at it. I relaxed, eased up on the bipod (still getting used to that bit of equipment) and shot some good groups; nice little clusters (Almost as small as yours!)~Muir

Hi Muir,I've never been fond of testing at 100yds,it's to critical,prefer 200yds plus,the last lot of ammo I tested was scenars was at 1000yds,the ultimate test for 308,I've tested them since at 100yds and I get a ragged hole like the far right target without the so say flier.

had the same problem with my tikka 22-250.in the end it was all down to slowing down the rate of fire.3 shots ok but overheated on 4.left to cool between shots ok.it had a sporter barrel which was quite light and heated quickly-not sure of your barrel profile but wont hurt to try it.hope you get sorted.Richard

26 inch heavy barrel,it's definately down to me,to get 3 shots touching or ragged holes I must be doing something right,all shots were taken in fairly quick time space,barrel never cooled,am aware of the procedures but I didn't have all day to do it,all formats we do in our club is timed snap shooting even at 1000yds,our last target you've got 20 seconds for 4 shots

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi Muir,I've never been fond of testing at 100yds,it's to critical,prefer 200yds plus,the last lot of ammo I tested was scenars was at 1000yds,the ultimate test for 308,I've tested them since at 100yds and I get a ragged hole like the far right target without the so say flier.
    Excellent. My bipod technique is pretty lacking as I never use it in the field and load development is better done from the bags. Still, I wanted to experience it so I put on one my Savage Long Range Hunter. I get the occasional 10 shot group that is the raggedy hole but more often I toss one out. I am getting better but I am a long way from being ...precise? I am going out today for more practice. Today I'm just going to shoot for fun, using the back end of a 12 ga hull as targets. I'll probably do some off hand (standing) work as well as that kind of shooting comprises about 90% of all the shots I take every year.~Muir

That load i tested at 1000yds I copied a load off another bloke in the club,he got good results with them,he got remy barrel and mines an armalon barrel,say I tested them,I zeroed with them at 1000yds and shot the inter club comp,came 5th,my mate came 1st with his 260,I've recently got some n540 cheapish,I've loaded 10 to try with same seating depth as they seem to like it,should be doing 2900fps,my other load is a shade faster,I hope they are as good because I bought 3.5 kg