Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedding an m595

Bedding an m595

I have a lovely Tikka m595 that I would like to make better. My mate has just bedded his remmy 700 and so we are going to do my rifle. Where can I get all the bits from like the pillars and the resin that is needed? Is there anything I should know before we attempt to do this.......like people who have done it before and would recommend anything?
    I am shooting 5 shots in a pound coin at the moment at 100 yards everything is standard. Eventually I will get a nice barrel on it when funds allow and when its shot out.

Nathan Foster has some videos on his approach - Good luck. JCS

12 bore,
    You can get devcon from Cromwell tools and pillars can be ordered from Midway but most are turned up on a lathe.
    Bedding a Tikka 595 is not as simple as a Rem 700, the Tikka does not have a premantly attached recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel and action.
    It is normal to discard the factory recoil lug and bed direct onto a front pillar.
    The front pillar needs to be of a top hat design and recessed to be a tight fit over the boss on the bottom front of the action.
    The front pillar then absorbs the recoil forces transmitted to it through the front boss.
    This kind of pillar has to be custom made, buit a standard pillar can be used for under the tang.

Ian.

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    just use some chemical metat under the standard recoil lug!!!!!!..... nothing else needed for an old tikka like yours, i'm on my third m series tikka and i've bedded them all the same way even with the mcmillan stock on my current m695 lh. All it takes is to get a nice frrefloat on the barrel and accuracy improves.

Quote Originally Posted by 12borejimbo View Post
    I have a lovely Tikka m595 that I would like to make better. My mate has just bedded his remmy 700 and so we are going to do my rifle. Where can I get all the bits from like the pillars and the resin that is needed? Is there anything I should know before we attempt to do this.......like people who have done it before and would recommend anything?
    I am shooting 5 shots in a pound coin at the moment at 100 yards everything is standard. Eventually I will get a nice barrel on it when funds allow and when its shot out.

Sorry, I have to say this.

Is this your deer rifle?

Or let me put it this way,

You can put five shoots into a 1 coin.

Why do you need to do anything to your rifle? Leave well alone! Please, PLEASE! don't bed it.

Your mate will have to bed his remmy. It is a REMMY!

You have a perfectly good rifle there just shoot it!

Not a 595 - a 590, but in essence the same....

Proper job!

My tikka 595 was rebarreled a few years ago. At the time a heavy conventional recoil lug was fitted a la remington 700, inletted into the stock and pillar bedded. Seems fine!

That's an excellent looking bedding job Redmist, did you make the pillars yourself as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Sorry, I have to say this.

Is this your deer rifle?

Or let me put it this way,

You can put five shoots into a 1 coin.

Why do you need to do anything to your rifle? Leave well alone! Please, PLEASE! don't bed it.

Your mate will have to bed his remmy. It is a REMMY!

You have a perfectly good rifle there just shoot it!
    It's my foxing rifle, I know it's good but I'm getting to the stage now where I want it to get better!