Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single shot/ break barrel.

Single shot/ break barrel.

I need some advice from the learned contributors to this forum. I fancy a single shot break barrel rifle, or just a single shot rifle for stalking. What do the people on here use? I have a Ruger No 1 in .416 I use in Africa, but there must be other makes/models around.
    Thankyou in advance.

Quite a lot of the European shotgun manufacturers produce break action single shot rifles have a look at this website to give you some idea http://www.sangliers.net/ Look through the fusil section, you will have to work your way through it but it will give you some information.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Blaser makes the K95. I did have a look at one in McLeods a while back in 6.5x55 - very nice - but four grand.

I think most of the others will be made to order - and hence even more expensive.

Like you I really do fancy one of these but its a bit difficult to justify - very light gun if you're doing a lot of climbing.

As Kuwinda says they are normally quite expensive though if you want something cheaper you can look at some of the American rifles such as New England Arms (Harrington & Richardson), Thompson Encore or even the Russian Baikal. I also seem to recall that Mossberg made a single shot break action rifle at one time but never saw one in the flesh.

I forgot to mention that the German term for such rifles is kipplauf.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    I need some advice from the learned contributors to this forum. I fancy a single shot break barrel rifle, or just a single shot rifle for stalking. What do the people on here use? I have a Ruger No 1 in .416 I use in Africa, but there must be other makes/models around.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Tempting.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Rifle/Baika...-gs115727.aspx

If anything very similar tho their MP18 the "workhorse" of shotguns plain and simple
    (no frills) but almost bombproof which is also available in .222, Rossi also do a similar version however not sure on calibre.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 20-01-2013 at 08:37.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Thanks guys. I'm sure there will be more to come as others see this thread. I never knew the German name before which will help in the research. I'll also have a look through that French boar site. Perfect for a pretty poor day here in Scotland.

Archer, that wee Baikal is very interesting. It looks like they have taken the well proven single barrel action as Uncle Buck suggests and just made it for a rifle. I'm surprised it's still there. Must be a lot of guys on this forum that could use it. I don't know if it will take a scope right enough - and it's not a calibre that can be used in France a the moment as I understand.

I use a K95 in .25-06Rem. & have done so for the last ten years. It's an excellent rifle and no problem reloading quickly for the hind & calf if required. Yes expensive, but of this type of rifle, among the very best.

K95's are avaliable in the 'Black' version for a lot less than 4k. - I'm guessing, but around 2.5k ish???
    A good friend has just bought a Luxus in .270Win & paid extra for upgraded wood.

When I bought mine, Beechwood Equipment were the importers - but I bought mine from Gregor at Macleods..at the time, he knew more than anyone in the country about these rifles.....& I'd guess, probably still does!
    ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 20-01-2013 at 09:25.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Archer, that wee Baikal is very interesting. It looks like they have taken the well proven single barrel action as Uncle Buck suggests and just made it for a rifle. I'm surprised it's still there. Must be a lot of guys on this forum that could use it. I don't know if it will take a scope right enough - and it's not a calibre that can be used in France a the moment as I understand.
    An internet search shows York Guns have them for just short of £300 new and I am seriously tempted- my daughter is applying for a "shared" FAC and this style of rifle will suit her better than my Howa/Axion stock combo.
    Time for a call to my FEO methinks.

oh and like you I'm not sure of how well a scope would fit

You are correct about the French restriction- they seem to ban military calibres