Thread: Setting up a Larder/Cutting Room

Setting up a Larder/Cutting Room

Morning Chaps

A quick discussion with one of my landowners resulted in me inheriting a 20ft refrigerated lorry back all in working order.. Result!
    Now i plan to use this for hanging and processing the meat into sausages, burgers, steaks and joints etc as i am getting a few carcasses and have been selling whole as i didnt have space to hang any for a reasonable time. Has anyone done this and maybe if so could you offer any advice ? Does anyone have any links to building larders regarding floors ,walls, equiptment etc ?

ATB Steve

Hi Steve.
    I set up in half of my garage,its all pretty easy,but I do work for the local Environmental Health Dept.
    Best advice contact their food team and involve them from the start and you will be ok. They will have to inspect it and pass it for what you are doing . They will be able to advise you with all the matierials ,paint, walls, floor etc.
    It isnt as daunting as it seems. If you need any more advice drop me a pm.
    Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Morning Chaps

A quick discussion with one of my landowners resulted in me inheriting a 20ft refrigerated lorry back all in working order.. Result!
    Now i plan to use this for hanging and processing the meat into sausages, burgers, steaks and joints etc as i am getting a few carcasses and have been selling whole as i didnt have space to hang any for a reasonable time. Has anyone done this and maybe if so could you offer any advice ? Does anyone have any links to building larders regarding floors ,walls, equiptment etc ?

ATB Steve
    Steve,
    yes converted a wagon back to a cutting room several years ago, my advice would be to contact your EHO.
    You will need a curtain to separate hanging game from game that is being processed.Hand washing facility's,hot water,dirty room, two entrances, you will need a flow of dirty in one end and clean out the other.
    Before you embark on kitting out your container look at the current converted larders that are advertized on the net to give you some idea.
    One thing is for sure that you will need to have in place your food hygiene certificate if you intend to sell to the public.Also you will need to dispose of your waste with an approved hazardous waste company,you will be suprised just how much waste you have!
    Work with your EHO and always ask their advice it is easier to work with them than against them.

regards
    Now
    Last edited by news of the world; 20-01-2013 at 11:09.