Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet retrieve

Wet retrieve

I was beating on my local shoot yesterday without my GWP Macey who's in season. One of the guns dropped a cock pheasant in the middle of a wet area/pond. After some time of trying none of the shoot spaniels or labs could retrieve it even though we could see it. In the finish I said I'd come back in the morning with Macey as I reckoned she'd find it. I was right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104526AA.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	876.2 KB 
ID:	23728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104531AA.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	804.7 KB 
ID:	23729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104535AA.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	733.1 KB 
ID:	23730

Coming from a wildfowling background there is nothing that makes ya happier than a blind retrieve. Sometimes when I see spaniels leave the hide to head out into rough waves looking for a single teal, it amazes me not only how they don't die from hypothermia, but show real excitement swimming head on into strong waves and headwinds.

You must have been proud as punch and it makes it better when you know that every bird was picked up which I think shows true respect for what we shoot.

It was freezing here this morning, there was ice on the exposed areas of the pond and there was snow lying on the ground. Nonetheless in she went. Was she bothered by the cold? Not abit. By the time I walked back home(half hour) the water had frozen on her coat!!
    Macey is my stalking partner of 4 years and this is her first season on feathered game. She's proved to be just fantastic. A realmatch formy spaniels!

Hi Mark. Well done both of you. Ive kept and worked springadors and ess's for 15years plus and they have never let me down. I now have a new recruit, Quill, my 11month GWP bitch. She is doing very well in her training for deer and foxi work, so much natural ability and willingness to please me. I'm over the moon with her so far.

Quote Originally Posted by navaran5 View Post
    Hi Mark. Well done both of you. Ive kept and worked springadors and ess's for 15years plus and they have never let me down. I now have a new recruit, Quill, my 11month GWP bitch. She is doing very well in her training for deer and foxi work, so much natural ability and willingness to please me. I'm over the moon with her so far.
    I've had(and still do) springers for a similar time and better workers you couldn't wish for but my wirehair is turning out to be something else. With no training whatsoever her ability on finding and retrieving feathered game is proving to be outstanding.
    The springers have it re working heavy cover.

Agreed, spaniels and springadors are the dog for heavy cover, at the moment I am concentrating on the deer/fox work with Quill, my GWP, she is showing great natural ability so far. Her general obedience is also coming on well, better than I had anticipated I have to say, at eleven months I didn't expect her to be at the stage she is. I'm confident that she will make a good alround shooting companion as she matures. I'll post some pics at some some stage, she's a very nice dog to look at aswell, well I think so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalkermark View Post
    I was beating on my local shoot yesterday without my GWP Macey who's in season. One of the guns dropped a cock pheasant in the middle of a wet area/pond. After some time of trying none of the shoot spaniels or labs could retrieve it even though we could see it. In the finish I said I'd come back in the morning with Macey as I reckoned she'd find it. I was right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104526AA.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	876.2 KB 
ID:	23728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104531AA.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	804.7 KB 
ID:	23729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_0120_104535AA.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	733.1 KB 
ID:	23730
    No disrespect here
    but if you could see it and none of the dogs on the day could not be handled on to it
    then it shows the quality of dogs or handlers on the day
    sad day for that shoot for you to point out that fact they have useless dogs even thou probably in their eyes they may have the best dogs ever
    Not an eye wipe but a show of what a decent dog should be able to achieve on any shoot shoot

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    No disrespect here
    but if you could see it and none of the dogs on the day could not be handled on to it
    sad day for that shoot for you to point out that fact they have useless dogs even thou probably in their eyes they may have the best dogs ever
    Not an eye wipe but a show of what a decent dog should be able to achieve on any shoot shoot

I wasn't going to say it, but this is the first thing I thought when I read the OP.

My hats off that you bothered to go back but you would think an organised shoot would have a dog there capable of a water retrieve.

Well done on the blind retrieve though!

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    No disrespect here
    I'm saying nothing!

Well done both of you! As said doesn't say much for the other dogs.... If they are ever stuck for a picker up let me know if I'm free ill pop down, think my dogs might just have managed a paddle! Wouldn't fancy that bird in the oven though!! Regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..