Thread: Sausage skins.

Post Sausage skins.

I have had sausage on my mind all morning!

I use hog runners as skins for my Venison sausages, Has anyone ever used Deer intestine? How would you prepare them? Would be pretty good if even the skins of my sausages were venison.

They'd be too small mate I reckon. Hog casings are generally over 30mm. Sheep casings are smaller and only really good for chipolata size bangers. I reckon roe or muntjac would be tiny? Apart from that it's a disgusting messy job to clean them!
    I've got a fantastic local supply of casings if you need any? Best I've ever used and also the cheapest!
    MS

What about Red? They would surely be big enough? It probably would be fairly minging cleaning them out I suppose. It was just a thought. Next time I am making a batch I might just PM you regarding casings. Although I do have a fair amount in the freezer at present.

Quote Originally Posted by jubnut View Post
    What about Red? They would surely be big enough? It probably would be fairly minging cleaning them out I suppose. It was just a thought. Next time I am making a batch I might just PM you regarding casings. Although I do have a fair amount in the freezer at present.
    I expect reds would be too big! I'm no butcher, but I think that part of the process involved some kind of whitening as well as cleaning? Best left to the experts i reckon to avoid ecoli!!??
    I've also heard that freezing them isn't a good idea as it makes them tough. Best kept salted. The ones I now get come in a very strong brine solution and just need a good rinse before use.
    MS

Might just knock the idea on the head then.