Thread: My top deer dog HWV

My top deer dog HWV

I popped out on Thursday evening for an hour on the off chance of catching up with some Roe that have been doing some pretty hefty tree damage on a piece of land that I look after. It takes me 15 minutes to get there and 20 minutes to get in some sort of position to watch the length of a block of trees that are 300 yds long and 60yds wide with the boundary fence being on a motorway.
    Me and my dog Molly sat down at one end of the trees,as I was pulling the bipod down a doe stepped out and ran towards the dog who was sitting down right beside me,we were both transfixed with her antics we missed another 5 that appeared from nowhere. I managed a shot at one near the trees at about 60 yds.it was an easy shot and she just ran into the cover.
    As I had just gone out on the spur of the moment I forgot the flourescent collar with flashing lights and bells on which I would normally put on her for tracking as I normally run her free.
    I laid her on where the blood and hair was. My thoughts were it is getting dark the deer is dead and not far away,the motorway noise was so loud I couldnt hear myself think ,I will just follow her in,but it was so thick with blackthorn, dog rose and bramble I couldnt keep with her. Normally Molly would find the deer and come back and take me into it,but 10mins later no dog. If it was still alive and she was baying it I wouldnt be able to hear her,so I walked up and down the length of the wood calling and whistling her hoping she was close enough to hear me.10 mins later panic was starting to set in, when out she came covered in deer blood,looked at me as much as to say where you been dad. I followed her in for 30 yds on my hands and knees,got the beast and somehow extracted it .A further 30 mins and we had got back to the truck and made our way home.So it took 30mins to get their and take the shot,and lay the dog on ,perhaps 2 mins for the dog to find the deer and about 40mins for me to find the bloody dog!!
    Cant fault her though been stalking with her for 6 years never lost one yet. Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    I popped out on Thursday evening for an hour on the off chance of catching up with some Roe that have been doing some pretty hefty tree damage on a piece of land that I look after. It takes me 15 minutes to get there and 20 minutes to get in some sort of position to watch the length of a block of trees that are 300 yds long and 60yds wide with the boundary fence being on a motorway.
    Me and my dog Molly sat down at one end of the trees,as I was pulling the bipod down a doe stepped out and ran towards the dog who was sitting down right beside me,we were both transfixed with her antics we missed another 5 that appeared from nowhere. I managed a shot at one near the trees at about 60 yds.it was an easy shot and she just ran into the cover.
    As I had just gone out on the spur of the moment I forgot the flourescent collar with flashing lights and bells on which I would normally put on her for tracking as I normally run her free.
    I laid her on where the blood and hair was. My thoughts were it is getting dark the deer is dead and not far away,the motorway noise was so loud I couldnt hear myself think ,I will just follow her in,but it was so thick with blackthorn, dog rose and bramble I couldnt keep with her. Normally Molly would find the deer and come back and take me into it,but 10mins later no dog. If it was still alive and she was baying it I wouldnt be able to hear her,so I walked up and down the length of the wood calling and whistling her hoping she was close enough to hear me.10 mins later panic was starting to set in, when out she came covered in deer blood,looked at me as much as to say where you been dad. I followed her in for 30 yds on my hands and knees,got the beast and somehow extracted it .A further 30 mins and we had got back to the truck and made our way home.So it took 30mins to get their and take the shot,and lay the dog on ,perhaps 2 mins for the dog to find the deer and about 40mins for me to find the bloody dog!!
    Cant fault her though been stalking with her for 6 years never lost one yet. Wf1
    Good show mate. Im glad you got molly OK. Thry can give us all heart stopping moments at times.

Nutty

Yep sounds like tracking deer with my WHV (non trained btw), its always a game of find the dog, find the dog and I've found my deer. Usually though he comes back after a few minutes until he sees me, then turns on the spot and returns the way he has come, I know then he has the deer.