Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business idea--feedback needed

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Business idea--feedback needed

I've been messing about with a business idea in my head for a while now and wanted to see if SD members thought it may be any good.

It revolves around effectively renting double rifles for continental driven type shoots.
    Now, before everyone takes a large intake of breath and beats me up by saying you can't rent firearms I KNOW. The business goes like this

I would own 4-5 double rifles.
    I would then have a solicitor prepared document which the potential renter would sign.
    He would pay for the rifle but with the solicitors document he agrees to sell it back to me for an agreed pre-determined value within 1 month of returning from his trip.
    The renter would then receive 'his rifle' one month before he departs on his trip ( therefore allowing practice.)
    The renter then returns the rifle to me and after inspection gets the agreed value back

The rifles would come fully cased, zeroed and have the correct quality optics you'd only need a variation and buy the ammo.

I was thinking of something like £200 which would include delivery.
    By having a pre-determined buy-back value I wouldn't be renting it to you. You'd be buying it from me and I'd be buying back from you.

Advantages are
    1. You get to use something that is probably more suitable for the job and so in turn may increase your chances of success.
    2. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg buying a rifle/scope combo that you might use once in a blue moon
    3. If you really liked the rifle you'd be able to buy it after having actually tried it on some quarry therefore limiting your chances of having to shift a rifle you just can't get on with.

Now I'm not an RFD, so I know I'd have to go down the one off one on variation route or become an RFD.
    What do you think and please bear in mind this is only at a idea stage, I don't even own a double rifle yet.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Go and get your FAC. Look at table 1. Column C "state whether sold, lent on hire,given or lent".

You don't need to sell the gun, just lend it to them. If you sell them the gun then legally it is theirs and you have no rights to be sold it back!

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

not sure sure if you can loan or hire an FAC??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If you sell them the gun then legally it is theirs and you have no rights to be sold it back!
    Hence the solicitor document, they agree to sell it back to you.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    not sure sure if you can loan or hire an FAC??
    I didn't think so either. Hence why you sell and then buy back at an agreed value. That way your doing neither

Well not really sure how that would work, but the most important aspect of market research is asking the right question. You then have to find the right people to ask it to.

Are SD members your targeted clients? If so you should be trying to assess if there's a market in the first place before bothering with the tech stuff. You won't get any helpful answers on here by allowing people to start picking holes in the feasibility (that's pretty much what we all come on here to do at times haha!).

in theory yes I'd rent a rifle, but you'd have to make it easy and present a strong case for me not just doing it over there (renting at the venue I'm shooting at)...?

good luck with it whatever you decide to do

Nice idea, I like it. However, recovering your capital outlay at £200 per month on a 2-3 month season is going to take a lifetime.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Well not really sure how that would work, but the most important aspect of market research is asking the right question. You then have to find the right people to ask it to.

Are SD members your targeted clients? If so you should be trying to assess if there's a market in the first place before bothering with the tech stuff. You won't get any helpful answers on here by allowing people to start picking holes in the feasibility (that's pretty much what we all come on here to do at times haha!).

in theory yes I'd rent a rifle, but you'd have to make it easy and present a strong case for me not just doing it over there (renting at the venue I'm shooting at)...?

good luck with it whatever you decide to do
    There are more and more UK hunters going abroad to hunt. One of the main targets are Wild Boar for which a double rifle is probably the best weapon. There are quite a few travelling shooters on this forum.
    I think the main benefit of this scheme would be the ability to practice before you arrive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Nice idea, I like it. However, recovering your capital outlay at £200 per month on a 2-3 month season is going to take a lifetime.
    I never said it was going to turn me into another Lord Sugar

It's certainly a different idea my friend,I wouldn't know anything that might help you but,I do hope if you get it off the ground you make your fortune,but it does sound like you might be onto the beginnings of a seed of an idea,don't get boged down with sticking to the original idea though ....think laterally.

Martin