Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: zero after cleaning

zero after cleaning

hello all. i have a tikka t3 light in .243. i clean the rifle when i get home from every shooting session, when i do i allways find the first shot an inch to the right and high, is this normal? does anyone else find this? i clean with wipeout until the patches are clean. many thanks
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello all. i have a tikka t3 light in .243. i clean the rifle when i get home from every shooting session, when i do i allways find the first shot an inch to the right and high, is this normal? does anyone else find this? i clean with wipeout until the patches are clean. many thanks
    Tom
    A few rifle will do this, some shoot better fouled and some clean. When I clean I walways patch out with Meths. So far Ive never had a prob with zero between clean and fouled.

nutty

as in lighter fluid? what does this do? thanks
    Tom

Tom
    Mine, in stainless varmint, does exactly the same. You know it does this so just adjust for your first shot after cleaning or........dont clean
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

as in lighter fluid? what does this do? thanks
    Tom
    Meths (I canny spell the big word!!!) from B@Q It cleans any cleaning residue from the bore. I push a wet patch or 2 through then patch out till dry. Its worked for my last 3 rifles but may not work for your rifle.

nutty

do you find the second shot is bang on again?

thanks
    Tom

Methylated spirits. Methanol, methyl alcohol. It will remove any residual oils etc from the barrel leaving it totally dry. Second shot for me is always bang on.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

IMHO you are cleaning your rifle too often.

With modern factory loads you dont have to clean as often as in the past.

ATB CVK

Mine get cleaned every 30 shots, between that, I do nothing with them and have never had any issues. After cleaning i put one shot down range as a spoiler and then it's bang on again.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.