zero after cleaning

Tomm

hello all. i have a tikka t3 light in .243. i clean the rifle when i get home from every shooting session, when i do i allways find the first shot an inch to the right and high, is this normal? does anyone else find this? i clean with wipeout until the patches are clean. many thanks
Tom

hello all. i have a tikka t3 light in .243. i clean the rifle when i get home from every shooting session, when i do i allways find the first shot an inch to the right and high, is this normal? does anyone else find this? i clean with wipeout until the patches are clean. many thanks
Tom

A few rifle will do this, some shoot better fouled and some clean. When I clean I walways patch out with Meths. So far Ive never had a prob with zero between clean and fouled.

nutty

Tom

Mine, in stainless varmint, does exactly the same. You know it does this so just adjust for your first shot after cleaning or........dont clean :)

as in lighter fluid? what does this do? thanks
Tom

Meths (I canny spell the big word!!!) from B@Q It cleans any cleaning residue from the bore. I push a wet patch or 2 through then patch out till dry. Its worked for my last 3 rifles but may not work for your rifle.

nutty

Methylated spirits. Methanol, methyl alcohol. It will remove any residual oils etc from the barrel leaving it totally dry. Second shot for me is always bang on.

IMHO you are cleaning your rifle too often.

With modern factory loads you dont have to clean as often as in the past.

ATB CVK

Mine get cleaned every 30 shots, between that, I do nothing with them and have never had any issues. After cleaning i put one shot down range as a spoiler and then it's bang on again.

Tom

Mine get cleaned every 30 shots, between that, I do nothing with them and have never had any issues. After cleaning i put one shot down range as a spoiler and then it's bang on again.

Tom
+1 .... I do it every 50 shots and also put thru a 'spoiler' shot to foul the barrel prior to stalking

for those of you who dont clean after every outing do you just put a dry pach through or a bore snake or what? think i may clean after every 20 or 30 shots, authough this will probabley mean i only clean about every 3 months!

many thanks
Tom

I prob clean mine about once every couple of months and that will roughly equate to 100 or so shots but that's only down to my routine with looking after my kit.

Its not a full scrub just a bore snake with wipeout tactical on it run through twice :)

for those of you who dont clean after every outing do you just put a dry pach through or a bore snake or what? think i may clean after every 20 or 30 shots, authough this will probabley mean i only clean about every 3 months!

many thanks
Tom

Nope nothing, I carry my rifle muzzle down so no rain gets down there, not that I do a lot of stalking in the rain anyway (done a fair bit in the snow recently though). Apart from rain water what else is there to get down there? If you're always muzzle aware shouldn't be an issue and the rifling stays just as it should be!

I have a tikka 243 lite which dosent seem to do this, i clean out every month always leaving the inside of the barrell slightly lubricated

I always finish cleaning with a couple of patches soaked in Brake and Clutch part cleaner and find that there is no loss of zero or first round POI shift

i must be honest and only clean my rifle when it starts to open the group up , i shoot it pretty often , and first shot is always bang on ,i no alot will disaprove but it works for me and has done for 15 yrs or so .

Back