Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I wonder?

I wonder?

I wonder how many "do gooders" realise how many song birds, squirrels and voles etc, we game shooters keep alive in this cold, just by feeding our game birds. 100's of tons of wheat and maize will be fed every week in the country. At well over 200 a ton who would pay this if it wasnt for the humble pheasant(etc). Not to mention the woods been made warm and left quiet for the benifit of shooting......

spot on

and the insect rich perenial covers planted that provide essential feeding for chicks in spring also the predator control i read an article in the shooting times years ago that suggested over 80 million song birds are predated each year. Our poor native song birds only defense from local extinction from misuse of the countryside and predation is shooters. ignorance is rife as my neighbour said "i love seeing those black and white birds in the garden"

Totally agree, a significant amount of other wildlife utilises feed put out for game during the hard weather.

I think there is even talk of farmers now getting a payment through ELS for direct winter feeding of grain for wild birds.

SD Regular
    I wonder, too, how many realise that any GOLF COURSE is pretty much a desert to our natural species too.

John if the pheasants were not there then there would be alot more food unless you believe they only eat what you put down. So if a soung bird or to get some maize then its a bit of pay back. PS the reason 200 a ton is paid is because they will fetch ten x that when shot. Lets not start patting our selves on the back to quickly.

Have to be careful here!

As 6p says, how much do pheasants and red legs eat?

At best we are only putting in what we are taking out. Same with pred control, we got rid of big preds and have made perfect conditions for generalist preds such as magpies, foxes and crows.

Yes, we do a pretty good job but it's not that perfect.

To be fair if you ever watch a Pheasant feeder at this time of year, they do attract an awful lot of small birds and mammals.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

One thing I notice when hunting on the continent in winter is how silent the woods are compared to ours.

When I was keeping I spent a huge ammount of time improving the woodland habitat that wouldnt have been done if it wasn't for the pheasants.

After waynes comments that was what our group noticed in france ,they had hardly any birdlife in the woodlands, atb

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    One thing I notice when hunting on the continent in winter is how silent the woods are compared to ours.

When I was keeping I spent a huge ammount of time improving the woodland habitat that wouldnt have been done if it wasn't for the pheasants.
    You don't have to go to the continent for silent woods.

There's a couple of woods near me that are owned by tree-huggers who insist that their no-shoot and free-to-roam (as in hikers / dog walkers et al) policies are good for the habitat.

They are near wildlife deserts compared shoot-managed woods nearby.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).