Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A treble in the snow

A treble in the snow

This afternoons stalk i thought i would revisit a small clear fell where i had shot a doe
    a couple of weeks back that led to a thread with me having to call a friend in with his dog
    I approached as quietely as i could with snow on the ground still here in somerset .
    not so much a crunch as you took your next step but a compacting sound. as i got nearer
    i spotted a roe doe making her way across the middle and not far behind a doe follower .

The plan was to take both if the chance presented itself i was about 25 yards from the highseat
    so i decided to try to make it there if i could if not a shot shots of the sticks would suffice
    I crept forward step by step watching both deer as i did so the trusty GWP closely behind me
    I managed to get to the seat sat the dog up and climbed steadily up the seat
    turning over the wooden seat that had five inches of snow on top of it and settling down to take
    a shot .

I had taken a towel to sit on but decided to use this instead to lie on the the bar for a steadier
    shot off the front rail the two does were ranged at 115 yards .
    I flattened the first the second then ran right handed and stopped behind cover no shot on
    she then moved a few more yards and stopped again the 30 .06 barked again she was down
    at about 130 yards i looked up and there were about sixteen deer running allways
    I thought **** need to take a few more really but not keen on the 1/4 mile drag back .

I let things settle down still had two out in front of me at around 140 yds and three way out left
    ranged with the lecias at 200 yds i nearly dropped one of these but decided not to get carried away
    so decided to wait and see if the two in front would present a shot one was a buck and a doe .
    the doe presented a shot so i flattened her too .
    well pleased with my afternoons work the work now began a 1/4 mile drag back to the truck

I managed to drag all three together with the sticks threaded through there legs the first hundred
    yards but i dont think id be here writing this now if i had tried to keep that up .
    so dragged the biggest one 150 yards then went back and dragged the other two together the same
    and kept doing this untill i got to the truck . absolutely knackered .

regards pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000043.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	23783
    Last edited by Roedinator; 21-01-2013 at 22:01.

hahaha youve earned your thatchers tonight pete, well done bud. i thought you would have been curled up in front of the fire eating apple crumble

Nice one Pete,but you do look a little startled in the flash mate.......lol

Martin

Nicely done.
    As an aside, does your GWP heel behind? Mine is always a foot ahead which I'm happy with as I think it gives a better scent chance (especially if Ive had a ruby the night before)
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    hahaha youve earned your thatchers tonight pete, well done bud. i thought you would have been curled up in front of the fire eating apple crumble
    Out of thatchers at the mo mate sat here with a bacardi and coke mafanwy { little britian if your wondering }
    regards pete .

hahaha i always suspected......it was the handshake that gave you away. seriously mate, well shot, where they all sheltering in that area you were telling me about then?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    hahaha i always suspected......it was the handshake that gave you away. seriously mate, well shot, where they all sheltering in that area you were telling me about then?
    no different area mate there were lots there aswell think you better come on a trip down in the near future
    I Know you dont shoot a blaser so you might be lucky and knock one over
    regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Nicely done.
    As an aside, does your GWP heel behind? Mine is always a foot ahead which I'm happy with as I think it gives a better scent chance (especially if Ive had a ruby the night before)
    hi LIM
    No shes usually a foot in front as you say like yours
    I just put her behind me on the last creep in just to not spook the deer
    regards pete .

Well done Pete nothing better than a Blaser for keeping fit ! ATB Steve

nice going Pete.

Looks like your filling your boots down there on the roe.

Taking the Blaser out in the snow................

Still no dog gaurd at work yet mate but will keep an eye out

Jon