Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotica

Exotica

Ey up

Does anyone here use exotic or vintage calibres / rifles for staking,?

Any Sharpes or Winchester cowboy stalkers !

Mate of mine uses sharps in .458 . Heavy old piece but very different . He hunted bison with it too .

I use a Ruger No 3 in 45/70 , I restocked it with some No 1 wood to add some wieght. Heavy loads in the original stock were brutal. Its one of my favorite black timber rifles. I did have a Shiloh Sharps carbine in 45/70 for a number of years, a quality built rifle that I traded off for something I had to have at the time.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Winchester 1895 in 405 winchester. I'm still looking for a set of Lyman reciever sights for it. I'm really looking forward to taking it out for some big stuff this fall or if I'm done in time, black bear this spring.

Another oldie I have but dont hunt with anymore is a Mauser 1871/84 in 11x60R. Its a very effective game cartridge, within range limits( they do drop fast and accurate range estimation is important) I never shot at anything over 100yrds with it anyway. Performance wise its very similiar to the original black powder 45/70 loading. The only reason I dont use it now is I cant see the sights anymore. Its in the hands of a young friend at the moment who loves it, he'll end up with that one, its his birthday soon lol.I do have and have owned others, but I dont want to come across as the guy who has everything and bore the hell out of everyone.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Ey up

Any Sharpes or Winchester cowboy stalkers !
    I have an 1859 Sharps (replica) in .54 caliber I like. It uses combustible paper cartridges and is very accurate. I also have a number of lever actions including a 1892 (original) in 25-20 WCF for rabbiting. I have Marlins in 32 Win Special, 30-30, and my son has a 45-70. I have two Marlin M-39 .22's that are tackdrivers.~Muir

I've killed a number of deer with the 45-70 in variouse Marlin lever guns . Also used a very nice old Marlin Model 1895 circa 1897 in 38-56 WIN caliber with one of my home cast bullets to take a fat doe whitetail. Used another circa 1896 Marlin 1895 in 40-65 with a home cast bullet to take a fat spike whitetail. Used a Marlin Model 1893 of 1906 vintage in 32-40 to take a smallish 3 point whitetail . USed several Marlin's that were made in the 50's to take whitetails using my home cast bullets as well .

I wouldn't call the 444 Marlin a Cowboy caliber but I've used that cartridge in a number of Marlin rifles to take 25 whitetails and 2 black bear using cast bullets and another 6 or 7 whitetails using handloaded jacketed bullets .
    That also brings up the now pretty much defucnt 450 Marlin . I killed two whitetail bucks and a doe with the original Marlin 1895M that got me started on Marlin's shooting handloaded Nosler 300 grain Partitions (they no longer make the bullet) also killed a couple using Hornady factory rubber tip Leverevolution ammo as well .

I "had" a pair of marlin Model 1892 and Model 92 that were 32 cal . These two had changeable firing pins so you could shoot 32 rimfire or 32 Colt or 32 Long Colt . They were built on actions the same size as the Marlin 39A .

Actually the progression of 22 lever guns in Marlin history was the Model 1891 , the model 1892 , the model 92 , the model 1897 , the model 39 and finally the model 39A they are basically the same rifle with little refinements .

Anyway I got a Model 92 in 32 cal first from a dealer in New York . Kept it for almost two years before I got cases , dies and a hip bullet mold . You need to cast a bullet just like whats used on a 22LR except in 32 cal .

Anyway I got this thing shooting well enough with a 90 grain hip mold bulle and 2.5 grains of Unique to get 950 FPS and groups for headshot squirrels at 25 yards .Wrote one or two articles about the little Marlin 92 shooting 32 Long Colt for the Cast Bullet Association periodical "The Fouling Shot" back maybe 2004 or 2005 I believe .

The second of the articles was about squirrel rifles in general and I had done cast bullets for Marlin levers in 218 Bee , 25-20 , 32-20 , 357 MAG and of course the 32 Long Colt . Got them all in the 950-1300 FPS range or less and killed atleast one squirrel with each . that was kinda neat but not as fufilling to me as making cast bullets and knocking over a deer .

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have an 1859 Sharps (replica) in .54 caliber I like. It uses combustible paper cartridges and is very accurate. I also have a number of lever actions including a 1892 (original) in 25-20 WCF for rabbiting. I have Marlins in 32 Win Special, 30-30, and my son has a 45-70. I have two Marlin M-39 .22's that are tackdrivers.~Muir
    Isn't there a .44Mag 1892 bouncing around in that gun room as well? I seem to recall an action job needed to be done on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Ey up

Yes, its called the 22 Hornet!

Cheers

K

I use a 1908 smle .303 some times for stalking does that count as vintage?

bob

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    I use a 1908 smle .303 some times for stalking does that count as vintage?

bob
    I'd say yes. I still hunt with my Enfield a lot, it may be old but its still a very effective caliber.

AB