Thread: bullets

bullets

my friend has a howa in .223 calibre but he cant understand where he is going wrong with his reloading at the moment he is reloading as as follows 55g ballistic tip with 25.5g of benchmark by the way its all benchmark powder 55g vmax moly with the same grains in and 50g btip v max moly 26g of powder the thing is he cant understand what he is doing wrong he shoots five or six with four of them going more or less through the same hole and then the other two shots go astray then leaves it to cool down then the same thing happens again where is my friend going wrong please can some one on here help many thanks the foxman

Quote Originally Posted by foxman View Post
    my friend has a howa in .223 calibre but he cant understand where he is going wrong with his reloading at the moment he is reloading as as follows 55g ballistic tip with 25.5g of benchmark by the way its all benchmark powder 55g vmax moly with the same grains in and 50g btip v max moly 26g of powder the thing is he cant understand what he is doing wrong he shoots five or six with four of them going more or less through the same hole and then the other two shots go astray then leaves it to cool down then the same thing happens again where is my friend going wrong please can some one on here help many thanks the foxman
    Only shoot in groups of four then! Is the barrel a lightweight sporter?

Not a lot of info to go on. Can I suggest cleaning the bore, buying some factory ammo and seeing if the same issues arise? Perhaps then it will be clearer if it's a kit problem or an ammo problem? Regards JCS

Sounds like a hot barrel to me,ive got a light barreled sako .222 and that will only do three shot groups.!

exactly, sporter barrel most likely - heats up and after 4 rounds changes POI, cools down and shoots fine again. alternative is to get a varmint profile barrel, but what's the point, 4 is plenty if you know how to shoot

I suspect that the barrel is heating up and then touching the stock and its causing the flyers. My Howa stock was very flimsy, my mate confiscated it and now it has two stainless steel rods in it and has been bedded, problem cured. In normal circumstances you should be able to freely slide a 5 note all the way from the muzzle to the recoil lug without it becoming trapped. If it does you have got a problem with insufficient clearance between the barrel and the stock.

if this is OK then problem lies elsewhere and you may have to stick to 3 shots, anyway you should only need one. My .243 Howa is very accurate.

D

might not be clearance issues in all cases. as a barrel heats up it changes flexibility and will therefore 'spit out' the bullet at a different point, changing POI. this can happen irrespective of it touching the stock or now. This does not sound like you need to fix your stock, just stop expecting varminting performance from a sporter barrel (yet to be confirmed of course)

i dont know if im doing this right but thanks to everyone who replied back to me

Quote Originally Posted by CRIMSONBULLSEYE View Post
    Sounds like a hot barrel to me,ive got a light barreled sako .222 and that will only do three shot groups.!
    My Howa did the exact same thing. . you could have fried an egg on it after 4 shots.

Definitely a hot barrel. If 4 rounds hit the mark then I doubt any loading problem.