Good traditional gunshops - name your favourites, past and present

Mauser66

Following on from Pine Marten's bad experience in London name your favourite gun and rifle shops - past and present.
For me my favourites are / were:

Brock and Norris:

Mike Norris - not exactly old-fashioned as he is at the top of his game and the new shop is uber modern. Absolute gentleman and customer service is top notch.

R. MacLeod of Tain, Scottish Highlands:
Gregor MacLeod is just a top bloke to deal with and the shop is definitely a place to not drive past.

Highland Ordnance Co., Dunvegan, Isle of Skye:
Ben Miller - total legend - knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and always gives me the best deal he can. The shop is full of all sorts of things and there's always something to tempt you to part with cash. Started me on reloading over 20 years ago and haven't looked back.
http://lifeattheendoftheroad.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/004.jpg

Shooters Supplies, Luib, Isle of Skye:
No longer there now, but it was hidden at the back of the Pipers' Moon Tea Room. Coffee and cake and gun oil....excellent.

Grahams Gunshop, Castle Street, Inverness
Always something to buy. Good selection of kit and ammo. Good service, though it can be busy at times. And if you're into fly fishing you'll be there for hours!

Ormistons, Inverness:
Not sure if it's still there, but it used to be a great wee shop.

Highland Industrial Supplies (HIS), Inverness
The don't yet sell guns, rifles and cartridges, but great selection of accessories, clothing and a massive selection of hardware.

Arnold Heal, Newport, IW - A small traditional gunshop with a surprisingly large stock range and at good prices. The owner Jai Nolan is very helpful.

Mulliners, Wimborne, Dorset - A wonderful stock of high quality rifles & shotguns, well worth a visit and again Ian Mulliner is very helpful.

atb Tim

I liked Calum Fergusons work shop when he was down nr me at langholm used to pick my ammo from him and also get my rifles tweaked . I also go to the Weldon gunroom 80miles each way but worth the fuel if looking for rifles and Bywell shooting ground is only 5 miles down the road from them for shotguns.

Not rifles i know, English shotguns only. Real old fashioned shop just as things used to be, Careys of Ledbury and Malcolm Carey is really one of the old school.

Alan brays gunshop used to be in Hinckley Leicestershire
Went in there from when I was a kid and he always had time for me
sadly Alan had to sell the shop after he got tied up set fire too and robbed !
Regards Andy

Radcliffes in Colchester was the Aladdin's Cave of my youth, but got no idea if it still exists. Also used to visit a little place in Norwich to spend my christmas pocket money on purse nets and stuff like that.

Bob Wightman... Edinburgh Gunmaker, Rose Street... Fascinating man and an hour in his time was worth as much as any day at school I can ever remember.

Another vote for R. Macleod and Son of Tain, the team there set standards of service few can match, at prices no-one seems able to match.

Border Barrels, A great crew too and I think the proprietor is one of the most knowledgeable and intelligent people I've ever met... and their barrels shoot pretty damned straight too.

Last edited:
Richardsons in Halesworth. My dad used to take me there as a treat on a Friday night after school (they open late on a Friday) it was always rammed so you could hardly get in the door. Bought my first shotgun there when I was a little older and I still have it.

My local one is Greenfields in Salisbury, Wiltshire. Proper gun shop.

When I'm up with my uncle it's Derek Lee near Horncastle, Lincolnshire.

Then when up in the highlands it's off to Grahams in Inverness.

,Jason Abbot, Oxfordshire ,over the years he has found me some lovely shotguns ,and for rifles alass no more, The Shooting Lodge Skipton , i used to travel down each year ,when we competed at the Yorkshire Show ,and went back with some cracking rifles that ,Tony Holmes, had set aside for me , did some trade then off for lunch,those were the days ,

My local one is Greenfields in Salisbury, Wiltshire. Proper gun shop.

That's the one I used to buy air rifle pellets from when I visited my granny a long time ago: glad to hear they're still in business! Last time I went to Salisbury, the place had lost a lot of its' character, all the shops were the same chains as everywhere else.

I'd like to recommend John Forsey Guns in Bexleyheath, Kent. As the sign says in the shop, "Wildfowling spoken here", and they always do pretty serious deals on guns without actually being asked. The last time I phoned to order a gun and asked for the price (having researched beforehand what the RRP was), they immediately said "Weeeeell, the best price I could give you would be..." and then said a number 20% lower than I expected. Which is why that's where I'll order my .22 from!

Richardsons in Halesworth. My dad used to take me there as a treat on a Friday night after school (they open late on a Friday) it was always rammed so you could hardly get in the door. Bought my first shotgun there when I was a little older and I still have it.

+1

Bought my first shotgun from them too, stock was twisted and extended to fit free of charge and they even let me walk out the shop with it even though I didn't have the money and could only pay with a cheque in the post after I got home. Apparently they have the equipment and knowledge to make shotguns from scratch. Proper gunsmiths

Last edited:
R Macleod of Tain.....absolutely 1st class, Highland Ind. Supplies for clothing & accessories (Not firearms/ammo)
Trent Firearms & Mike Dickinson for reloading stuff. ATB

Careys in Ledbury for a browse in an old fashioned shooting shop. The decor and guns are from the past. The prices are from the future.

Livens in Burton for every day stuff.

Ivythorne for brilliant secondhand and new rifles, reloading and optics.

Reloading Solutions for ....

Calton Moor for zeroing, testing loads, reloading stuff, the craic, and first class advice

Not been to Mike Norris' new shop yet but looking forward to.

I used to like a browse in Crudgingtons in Bath when I lived in the West Country

Last edited:
Does anybody else remember Youngs of Misterton near Crewkerne? An Aladdin's cave for a young man into wildlife, shooting and trapping. They had every kind of trap, net, snare that you could think of plus loads more. Bought my first rifle from them; a Parker Hale Safari Deluxe 270 Win for £16 (brand new) and a Nikko Sterling platinum scope for £10. I was earning £18 per week so I suppose its still in line with todays prices, maybe. "Non approved" items were located in the ladies cloakroom! It would be fantastic if there were still some places in existence like them.

Back