optics ?

Yorkshire lad

hi. hoping for a bit of advise/knowledge from you boys. ive had fixed 8x56 scopes on my rifles all my life and im looking for something with a little more magnification. thinking i want a 50-56 lense for low light but not sure on the mag. also what makes. was think a swarovski but im open to options from you all. got about £900-£1000 to spend so secondhand is fine. all posts welcome.

Hi Y.L.It would help if you gave us an idea of exacly what you want the scope to do-is it just stalking or foxing or possibly some long range varminting/targets.Armed with that info you are more likely to get a more helpful answer.regards Richard

sorry new to this , looking for something for foxing/lamping,a few long range crows, deer stalking. not wanting a really heavy thing.

thanks for the info-with your budget you should be able to get a good second hand European glass which is the way I would go-cant go wrong with zeiss,swarovski,s&b, khales.Try Mcleods of Tain who seem to have a great range of quality scopes at reasonable prices-as regards magnification you will g et many different views but a max mag of 15-16 with a 50mm objective lens should cover most eventualities.Good luck.Richard.

You should get plenty of choice in your budget range. For example, a few months ago, I bought a Swarovski AV 6-18 X 50L from an SD member for £750. It is absolutely as new and would meet all your stated needs. Sorry it is not for sale but similar items are regularly available here on SD. Similar scopes under the Schmit and Bender, Leupold and Zeiss brand name should also be well within the price range second hand. I also have a Swarovski 8X56 fixed with illuminated reticule. I struggle to see the differnce between the 50 and 56 in low light but the illuminated reticle enables shots to be placed accurately when it would not be possible without the illumination (on deer). Good luck for a good purchase.

didnt know about the illuminated whats your opinion,

I use the illuminated dot at very first or very last light, usually on dark coated Fallow who are against a dark background. I can see to place the dot exactly when I would not be able to place the cross for certain. I prefer the dot type but have used an illuminated cross too. I have only used illuminated reticles on my 30-06 in woodland or farmland. I couldn't help you as to whether it is a benefit when lamping foxes.

I would keep what you have, I've an 8x56 swaro', used it now for twenty odd years, tried others, nightforce, swaro 4,18x50 illuminated. The one thing I learned about having an illuminated reticule is I don't need one!! I very rarely soot at anything over 300 yds, even with higher mag'. All I did with the nightforce was fanny about with paralex and diffirent magnification.........by the time I was ready to pull the trigger the foxes had either moved 50/60 yds farther out or in or buggered off completley!! Great for targets and ego massaging 500 yds shots at rabbits, but when it's 04:30 and a vixen is 1/200yds away and is walking up a burn bottom and you've to shoot before it dissapears round the bend.........you don't have time for bells & whistles, keep it simple.

i know what your saying. not into all this range finding and dialing in crap. simply know you gun , ammo and land . but sometimes i have to shoot a little longer than i would like to due to the land and it would be nice to place a good shot

I would keep what you have, I've an 8x56 swaro', used it now for twenty odd years, tried others, nightforce, swaro 4,18x50 illuminated. The one thing I learned about having an illuminated reticule is I don't need one!! I very rarely soot at anything over 300 yds, even with higher mag'. All I did with the nightforce was fanny about with paralex and diffirent magnification.........by the time I was ready to pull the trigger the foxes had either moved 50/60 yds farther out or in or buggered off completley!! Great for targets and ego massaging 500 yds shots at rabbits, but when it's 04:30 and a vixen is 1/200yds away and is walking up a burn bottom and you've to shoot before it dissapears round the bend.........you don't have time for bells & whistles, keep it simple.
+1
most of the time you need to react quickly with foxes!
don't think i would bother with anything much over 14 mag if your doing lots of lamp work...
i bought a zeiss a few months ago with all the toys! fantastic scope but if i'm honest i will soon get another, smaller & lighter for lamping!

+1

If you are getting older, or expecting to do so during the life of this scope, there may come a time when it is much easier to see an illuminated dot than a fine cross hair in less than brilliant conditions. I used a swaro 6x40 for years but now an illuminated dot is something I would not be without, even with new post cataract op eyes.

I have a Swaro 2.5-15 X 56 for foxing in day light and NV which is why I need parallax adjustment, must say leave it mainly on 10 times, fantastic scope, bit pricy but will last a lifetime. cheers

A decent quality 3-12x50/56 should cover your needs, Schmidt, Swaro, Zeiss, Docter, Kahles, Meopta its a popular variant and all the big boys produce a version of one kind or another.

Back