Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC-1 Anwers?

DSC-1 Anwers?

I'm taking my DSC-1 next week and I'm still missing the answers to a few questions. I've been working through the question bank and looking up the answers as I go along but there are a few that are a bit ambiguous and also the BDS book that I'm using contradicts itself a lot on the Large Game Handling part of the course.

I had my FAC visit last week and my FEO's given me the OK but will hang on until I get my DSC-1 so that I won't have to have a supervisor condition on my FAC.

Can anyone help?

I was is your shoes just a few weeks ago - I took my Level 1 and had my FAC interview the week before. I now have an FAC (and Rifle now) but still waiting for the result of the test!

Which questions did you have problems with?

I'm sure the book states at the front that it includes the questions and answers but it's only got the questions! A definitive list of the correct answers would be useful as some of them are a bit ambiguous from memory!!

I'll have a look at which ones I think are ambiguous. One that springs to mind is this:

136. You are offered some ammunition hand loaded by a friend which he finds performs well in his rifle. What should you do?
    a Test the ammunition when you next go to the range
    b Politely refuse the offer
    c Disassemble the round to check the components
    d Place an order for another 100 rounds

A quick google lead me to a forum that said the correct answer has been recently changed from A to B.

Also this, another 'common sense' question - but is my common sense the same as the DSC is looking for?

44. Someone offers you a rifle with the bolt closed. What should you do?
    a Refuse to accept the rifle until he/she proves that it is unloaded
    b Take the rifle and ask him/her if it is loaded before pulling the trigger to check
    c Point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger to check
    d Open the bolt and look inside to prove it empty

Now I'd be reasonably OK taking a rifle from someone (keeping good muzzle awareness) and open the bolt myself so as not to appear rude (D) but are they looking for A?

I know some of the questiosn can seem slightly ambiguous
    I would never take ammo someone else has loaded for their rifle. The cases will be fire formed to their rifle not yours, so would probably not fit. Also you would not know how or what loads had been used and your rifle would need re zeroing.

The answer is B.

For 44. I would say the answer is A. I would ask them to ensure that the rifle is unloaded by opening the bolt. Besides anyone who knows enough about weapons would automatically open the bolt to prove the weapon was unloaded before handing it to another person

Sikamalc

Thanks, I guess the general idea is to play it very safe.

I'll post up some of the Large Game Handling questions later because there seem to be loads of bits missing from the book about when to remove the carcass from the food chain and when you have to report it to the venison dealer. I'm not very clear on that.

I've booked the assessment only as I can't take the time off work necessary to do the course in full.

You are correct - however you have to make sure that you give the resonse that they are looking for, rather then the response which may seem like the most common sense at a given point in time.

From my notes, I have as the required response as A in both cases. However I'm sure there are many situations in which this would be the case, like you say, but you just have to humour the examiners.

I remember there being one really silly question along the lines of "You are stalking alone and your partner shoots a..." !

Hi Gully

"I had my FAC visit last week and my FEO's given me the OK but will hang on until I get my DSC-1 so that I won't have to have a supervisor condition on my FAC."

Good luck on that one as sadly in Dorset they wont issue an open ticket insisting on a supervisor/named until you achieve your level two.

I have spoken to BASC on this and they are well aware of the situation in Dorset and unable to help.

I apreciate this varies across diferent regions.

Good luck on your level 1

Terry

He said he'd sign off my FAC right away if I wanted, but if I waited until I'd passed the DSC he wouldn't have to recommend a mentor or supervisor condition. The FAC won't be open though - we discussed that but said it wouldn't be a problem for me as I'll be paying for stalking and all the land will be cleared. He also said that he didn't believe in clearing land as safety is all in the control of the shooter anyway and if you're an idiot you'll be unsafe on any land.

I've found a lot more info on the Deer Initiative website about carcass inspection, but here's a few more questions that will help me get it all sorted out in my mind...

D7 A roe deer seen feeding on oilseed rape in winter appears to be blind and shows no fear of man. When it is despatched the trained hunter should:
    a Remove the head, pluck and label the carcass as correctly inspected
    b Deliver the carcass to the dealer un-eviscerated and with head on
    c Destroy the carcass as unfit for human consumption
    d Deliver the carcass to the dealer with its pluck and head with a note of the circumstances

I've seen conflicting info on this in the BDS book, one part says the carcass should not enter the food chain and the other says that this is an abnormality?

D11 A dead wild deer exhibits a large distended rumen (stomach) on inspection, after a lengthy follow up. Would you suspect the animal:
    a Was dangerously infected with TB
    b Was seriously infested with internal parasites
    c Had been left too long before gralloching
    d Had been over feeding on new growth

I suppose the clue here is the 'lengthy follow up'?

D18 A deer has a wound which has become fly blown and infected. This will:
    a. Make the meat tough
    b Make the meat more tender
    c Possibly contaminate the carcass and render it unfit for human consumption
    d Always taint the whole carcass
    I would choose (c) but I wonder if they want (d)?

D35 During inspection of the pluck, you find a clear, walnut-sized, cyst loosely attached to the liver. What following action should you take:
    a Eat the carcass yourself and feed the offal to your dog
    b Destroy the whole carcass as unfit for sale
    c Retain the carcass and sample and report it to the Animal Health Divisional Office
    d Note the fact on your declaration and sell the carcass in the normal way
    I'm guessing worms of some description but I can't find if this should result in the carcass being destroyed or if (d) is correct.

D38 On inspecting the organs of a deer you have just culled you notice the kidneys are swollen and discoloured. What should you do?
    a Ignore it and sell the carcase locally
    b Remove the kidneys note its condition on the declaration before sending to the game dealer
    c. Sell it to the dealer telling him everything was ok
    d Incinerate the whole carcase and organs and stop culling in that area
    (b)?

D41 You shoot a deer with a badly infected leg wound and it shows signs of infection throughout the carcass. Should you:
    a Ensure the infected leg is removed before butchering the remainder for sale
    b Sell the carcass because it is still good to eat
    c Only give the venison to some one who is going to eat it themselves
    d Dispose of the carcass in a recognised manner
    (d) as the infection is throughout the carcass?

D55 On inspecting the organs of a deer you have just culled you notice the spleen is swollen and discoloured. What should you do?
    a Ignore it and sell the carcase locally
    b Suspect anthrax, isolate carcass and inform Animal Health Divisional Office without delay
    c Sell it to the dealer telling him everything was ok
    d Incinerate the whole carcase and organs and stop culling in that area
    (b) seems the only sensible answer?

D58 In late autumn/early winter, which internal organ is most likely to be encased in fat?
    a Spleen
    b Liver
    c Kidneys
    d Ovaries/testes
    I've never seen anything written about this but a quick google finds research papers about kidney fat and its relationship with condition, so (c)?

D63 You shoot a deer with a swollen knee joint on inspection you identify it is infected with septic arthritis. What should you do with that carcase?
    a Labelled as correctly inspected, then delivered to the dealer
    b Delivered to the dealer un-eviscerated and with head on
    c Delivered to the dealer with its pluck and head with a note of the circumstances
    d Destroyed as unfit for human consumption
    (d)? Normal arthritis OK, septic is bad?