Deer numbers shot

Steyer 6.5

Today whilst stalking and again blanking (6 without a kill). I wondered if as a site we have for a twelve month period 1st January to 1st January recorded all deer shot by site members in the uk. My thoughts were it would give a good idea of what was killed country wide. What are folks thoughts.

im thinking it may not be a good idea to put something like that on here, some poeple like anti's might look at it the wrong way, its just my thoughts on the matter. others might think differently

I like the idea though I think there would have to be some serious survey work to provide figures for the propotion of stalkers who are SD members, whether SD members were representative of stalkers on the whole etc etc then some pretty serious statistical analysis would have to be applied to this. I think there would be far to many variables for the statistics to be useful.
I tell you where there is a wealth of untapped useful data and that is the carcass tags which at present go no further than the game dealers floor as far as I can tell and have no central records made of them.

Fair comment we could have a secure link maybe it would have to be upto admin. I was just interested how many are culled as they say numbers are increasing.

I like the idea though I think there would have to be some serious survey work to provide figures for the propotion of stalkers who are SD members, whether SD members were representative of stalkers on the whole etc etc then some pretty serious statistical analysis would have to be applied to this. I think there would be far to many variables for the statistics to be useful.
I tell you where there is a wealth of untapped useful data and that is the carcass tags which at present go no further than the game dealers floor as far as I can tell and have no central records made of them.

I don't know this site has pro Stalkers who take clients, FC Stalkers, contractors and recreational. As for larder tags I agree completely that's if they are tagged as some might go for the pot or never tagged.

I think it would be interesting but probably not of any real statistical value as not all people who stalk deer ,are on this forum. Many estates have good records going back generations which can be really interesting to compare estates and years as you can begin to identify trends in wieghts ,numbers ect, peaks and troughs from bad winters/wet springs.
If it was possible to get everyone to hand in a genuine return for a given season it would give the proportion of the different species culled by the different types of stalker which in itself would be of value, although i still suspect the weather would still be a significant player in deer control , in the form of winter deaths and foetal re-absorbtion

There are 9200 and odd member son SD I just thought it would be interesting how many deer we/our stalking community account for. I'm no scientist just curious. To be of any scientific value I think any certificate that has deer on as a quarry would need to be contacted but, ill stnd corrected on this. FC Stalkers don't need a certificate same as police firearms officers I think.

Today whilst stalking and again blanking (6 without a kill). I wondered if as a site we have for a twelve month period 1st January to 1st January recorded all deer shot by site members in the uk. My thoughts were it would give a good idea of what was killed country wide. What are folks thoughts.

to many varibles

land mass
distance traveled whilst stalking
time spent on site

on average, for last years last quarter, 1 to 1 ratio

20 days per said quarter stalking.

p

If you want stats the place to go would be SNH all data you need should be on the data base some were. England will have a data base also but i am not sure who to ask.

Back