Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a scope on a Tikka 595

Mounting a scope on a Tikka 595

Hi guys, I have just acquired a Tikka 595 in .222 and was wondering what the most cost effective method of mounting a scope would be? Optilocks or not? Thanks!

SD Regular
    Optilocks are great - but they are pricey - Warne will do the job just as well, TBH.

What scope are you mounting - I may have a set sat around you can have cheap.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Optilocks for me, I have also used hillver in the past which were ok

If your rifle is the one I'm thinking of, the most cost effective way of getting a set of Optilocks would be to buy the ones the chap who sold you the rifle very cheaply has for sale....

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I would go for the mounts that fit to the action (with no need for the bases) i have them on mine now and love them, cost effective and just as good as most.

speak to Eric the red.......the man has more stuff than me now.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I had a nice scope marked by warnes, wouldnt use them again. Go optilock.

Stick to the Optilocks - designed for the job & with the plastic inserts your scope will be perfectly aligned and securely fixed with almost no chance iof damaging it. The Burris Signature rings work on a similar plastic insert principle & will fit onto quite a few manufacturers' bases (Leupold, Redfield, Burris etc).
    I once had a Swaro tube marked by Apel rings - caused by the offset clamping action of the wrap around top strap which is about 2/3rd of the circumference (the screws were nipped too tight) - The offset load allowed the underside of the scope tube to crush inwards!!!! - plus it can be difficult springing the strap around the tube even using a mylar strip to stop scratching the tube. IMHO Apel are fine on steel tubed scopes but modern alloy ones are much weaker. - Lesson learned for me!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Stick to the Optilocks - designed for the job & with the plastic inserts your scope will be perfectly aligned and securely fixed with almost no chance iof damaging it. The Burris Signature rings work on a similar plastic insert principle & will fit onto quite a few manufacturers' bases (Leupold, Redfield, Burris etc).
    I once had a Swaro tube marked by Apel rings - caused by the offset clamping action of the wrap around top strap which is about 2/3rd of the circumference (the screws were nipped too tight) - The offset load allowed the underside of the scope tube to crush inwards!!!! - plus it can be difficult springing the strap around the tube even using a mylar strip to stop scratching the tube. IMHO Apel are fine on steel tubed scopes but modern alloy ones are much weaker. - Lesson learned for me!

Ian

Most people assume that the tubes are actually 1" say in diameter. I wonder how many have actually measured them?

You may be surprised. I have noticed that some quality German makes are not even parallel with one end being larger than the other and neither measuring an inch. It's this that most likely caused you crimping.

Quote Originally Posted by WillM View Post
    Hi guys, I have just acquired a Tikka 595 in .222 and was wondering what the most cost effective method of mounting a scope would be? Optilocks or not? Thanks!
    http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/tikka.html

I have several Tikka's, so looked beyond the manufacturer's manual.

These work at a fraction of the price of Optilocks. You won't need a gunsmith, and can mount them all by yourself, as they're a simple and sturdy one-piece solution.

I would replace all the other installed mounts (Millett, Weaver, etc.) with Sportsmatch, but the other setups aren't slipping & still doing the job so haven't bothered.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Thanks for all the advice! I haven't got a scope yet, but will have a 30mm tube and an objective no bigger that 50mm