Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick load

Quick load

Hi I am new to reloading and I am having a great time buying loads of new toys!
    I have seen reference to quick load in quite a few threads and wonder if this is a good thing to buy or is it not really necessary. Most of reloading is going to be for hunting loads.

If you do a lot of 'experimenting' type reloading then it can be worthwhile.
    On the other hand just for hunting, buy a few manuals - much cheaper and easier to use.

Calibre dependant too - if you shoot loads of different cal with a variety of bullets then maybe but if you single/double cals might be worth just putting a wanted ad up and im sure someone would run through a few loads for you for a beer or pin money. Its not a cheap piece of software and would be well over the top just for developing a good hunting load in single/2 calls.

Best of luck

I bought Quick Load when I started reloading and have found it to be very instructive. It is not absolutely necessary when you have access to reloading tables but it is useful when comparing the effects of the many variables.

I have also found (in my experience anyway) that, if all the variables are entered as precisely as possible, QL gives me more accurate MV data than my Chrony used to!!!

thanks guys that's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    I have also found (in my experience anyway) that, if all the variables are entered as precisely as possible, QL gives me more accurate MV data than my Chrony used to!!!

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that your Chrony readings aren't credible?

That your Chrony is faulty?

That the chronograph readings don't match the Quickload predictions so must be wrong?

That Quickload is more reliable because it provides the results you wished for rather than the real world results you actually got?

How does anyone know that Quickload works at all unless they test it with a chronograph under all conditions? If the tests were consistent then you could then place faith in it in future, and avoid the hassle of field tests which would be a big help.

Perhaps there's a typo here because I'm not seeing the point.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Then you must have had a pretty crap chrono! Come on no one is going to buy that line.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

QuickLoad can never be a direct substitute for a good Chronograph however it can give fairly accurate predictions of MV's which is handy when experimenting on paper with wildcat designs or different powders and bullet combinations. The interesting thing is QL has a 'fudge factor' also known as the weighting factor bottom right of the cartridge window and people do tend to 'tune' QL data to match measured MV's.

Personally I find QL very handy when looking at new cartridges as I can very quickly take a view on MV's based on actual OAL’s and powder capacities. It is also apparent that QL has been sanitised over the years as the declared pressures appear to be a lot lower than real life pressures when tested with a strain gauge.
    /d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Journal: http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that your Chrony readings aren't credible?

That your Chrony is faulty?

That the chronograph readings don't match the Quickload predictions so must be wrong?

That Quickload is more reliable because it provides the results you wished for rather than the real world results you actually got?

How does anyone know that Quickload works at all unless they test it with a chronograph under all conditions? If the tests were consistent then you could then place faith in it in future, and avoid the hassle of field tests which would be a big help.

Perhaps there's a typo here because I'm not seeing the point.
    I had a chrony gamma which was used correctly, the average results taken from shot strings were then fed into a ballistics calculator and clicks applied for ranges from 200-1,000 yards, I found that the results were often quite a way off, especially at longer ranges. I then tried simply applying the predicted MVs from QL instead and found (to my surprise) that little, if any adjustment was needed to get actual vs BC to match!

This was during my load workup obsessed 'phase' with my TRG .308 with PMII atop.. the result was the same no matter what projectile weight I used or propellant/charge was used... the predicted MV's were always pretty much bang on the nose out to 1,000 requiring perhaps 1 or 2 .1Mrad clicks adjustment to get agreement compared with many more clics using the data from the Chrony... also tried a friends chroy Alpha (i think it was) and the results matched my Gamma so it wasn't a duff unit.

I haven't messed about much with loads for my 6.5x55 but took the predicted MV from QL and used that in Swarovski's BC to set up my ballistic turret... the results were 15 clicks at 300yds.... tried this at Diggle expecting to need to make adjustments but, lo and behold... absolutely on the money at 300yds!

Now... I'm not saying this will always be the case but if the cartridge parameters are entered with absolute anal precision, the data out of QL is actually very, very accurate... I think more than one big ammunition manufacturer uses it to correlate data for their reloading manual!