Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SNH - Best Practise

SNH - Best Practise

This morning I had a telephone call informing me that SNH are to do away with the Beast practise days and production of the guides. I have had a look on the web sites, SNH and BPG, and can find nothing. I have every confidence in the authenticity of this information. Has anyone else heard this?

If this is the case then I personally think that the deer stalkers in Scotland will be losing a valuable resource, and SNH will be losing a revenue stream.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    This morning I had a telephone call informing me that SNH are to do away with the Beast practise days and production of the guides. I have had a look on the web sites, SNH and BPG, and can find nothing. I have every confidence in the authenticity of this information. Has anyone else heard this?

If this is the case then I personally think that the deer stalkers in Scotland will be losing a valuable resource, and SNH will be losing a revenue stream.

John
    A very sad loss of without a doubt the best book/guide on deer stalking currently on the market ,the best practice days have excellent content covering all the angles within the industry .

For myself these days give you opportunity to see hands on what is currently being used as industry standred, another loss to all, Mike Cottam has done a sterling job of best practice throughout his time with SNH ,let's hope they have something to offer mike and the rest of the industry however little every little counts .

Could not agree more Bob, it is a sad day for deer stalkers.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I had conformation just last week that SNH would be promoting Best Practice and offering a deer carcass butchery demonstration at the Deerstalking Fair in March. I would have thought that my contact would have been aware of any impending concerns with regards to BP then????

Great fan of the Best Practise scheme - if not SNH! If the rumour can be beefed up, I will be writing to SNH and MSPs etc in support of retaining it.

Any one in a position to clarify the situation?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I had conformation just last week that SNH would be promoting Best Practice and offering a deer carcass butchery demonstration at the Deerstalking Fair in March. I would have thought that my contact would have been aware of any impending concerns with regards to BP then????
    Possibly a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?
    Fairly common in any decent sized organisation.

Ed

I have quite a lot of dealings with Mike and BP.

The last conversation, that I had re this was pre Christmas.

Basically, the emphasis on the guides will decrease and more will be put on the delivery of the Deer Code and wider wildlife management/licensing.
    BP guides will be updated as necessary but no new guides are to be produced.

You may have seen that the BP website has been revamped, it will remain in situ. I'm not sure if paper copies will remain in production as they run at quite a loss.

However this may have changed? I did have an e-mail from him this morning, no mention.

PLEASE REMEMBER the jury is out, in regard to whether statutory training is implemented by Scotgov. The arguement so far is that the industry can self regulate with standards and training ie DMQ, Quality Assurance etc
    IMO we have been too reliant on DCS/SNH for the delivery of standards.

Best Practice as we know it is being Fazed out and sadly Mike will be finding a different job hopefully in SNH. He is a decent man and talks sense. BP has probably been its own worse enemy while the book its self is priceless and i would recommend it to any body who is thinking of deer stalking or has been stalking and wants the best reference guide there is. The problem in my opinion is the money spent delivering the BP event days. Top hotels expenses that would choke a hippo and dare i say it the same steering group drafting up new guides that some of the group have no experience of.
    I hope it will stay even if the government asks them to draw in the purse strings a bit.
    I feel that the deer industry as a whole will suffer many use these guides for the meat hygiene sections. I use my guide all the time.
    Any one who might have been thinking of purchasing the guide might be advised to get in touch with SNH wwright away before the guides are no more.
    Also i feel we seem to bicker about most things but a concerded effort aim at the minister to retain some of the BESTPRACTICE guides would not go amiss.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 23-01-2013 at 16:26.

I have it confirmed that BP will still be promoted at the Deerstalking Fair in March however, that is not taking anything away from the comments above regarding it being phased out in favour of an all encompassing alternative.

Perhaps if WH Smith can be made to change their minds the so can Government/SNH?

Perhaps it is necessary to write in and support the guide because even where it can be criticised in places it is still what we have to work with and in theory should be a 'living' document that can be updated when appropriate and not set in stone.

If anyone wants to support it we could offer a petition to sign at the Fair, as I am sure there would be a few signatures to add and for folk who don't want to take the individual approach.

Any thoughts on that?

I would be willing subscribe to a publication and or form of membership that would allow these publications and days to continue .
    Only point i would ask is for the days to be varied in location more north of the border and probably allow sponsorship in ways of advertisement to best afford the continuation of good training

p,