Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle bedding

Rifle bedding

Following on to a couple of recent posts about bedding, I have a question for those of you who might already have your rifles bedded.
    I have a Tikka 595 which I was considering having bedded, not for reasons of accuracy, as I am quite happy with that aspect of the rifle, but rather for the purpose of being able to remove and refit the action without loosing zero.
    On quit a few occasion, whilst away stalking, the gun has got soppy wet and knowing that I would not get the opportunity to check zero before setting out the following day, I have avoided striping the rifle from its action to dry it out thoroughly. Does having the rifle bedded, guarantee a return to zero, when refitting the action, in your experiences?
    dcg

Pillar bedding will help, but also the use of a torque wrench on the action bolts is essential if you want a repeatable POI after disassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Pillar bedding will help, but also the use of a torque wrench on the action bolts is essential if you want a repeatable POI after disassembly.
    Thanks for your reply danpd,
    yes, I've already started to do that, more for the point of consistency and my piece of mind, after having a rifle where the action screws used to come loose.
    dcg

a barrelled action screwed into the stock in the correct way with the screws tightened firmly but not ham-fisted shoudl give you a return to zero. bedding of course makes it a bit easier because the mating surfaces are perfect and there's no question of there being a different fit from time to time, the only one, as DanP mentioned, is screw torque.

I tried bedding my rifle once - girlfriend caught me and wasn't impressed.

..and seeing that, she's since taken up barrel bedding

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Now that is a statement I agree with 100%.
    Wooden stock by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I tried bedding my rifle once - girlfriend caught me and wasn't impressed.
    That's not so strange some people have to sleep with thier rifles. Or did you just get it wrong when your good lady asked you to bring the big gun to bed?

If you remove your barreled action from the stock complete with scope attached there should be very little if not any loss of zero but its always worth checking for piece of mind.

Ian.

Simjim,
    My apologies mate, in the other bedding thread i called you Slim, i did not read your name properly.

Ian.