Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: caliber for trying target shooting

caliber for trying target shooting

Fancy trying some target shooting 600yard kind of thing.now ive got a 22/250and a 243 was wondering if i should just use them or maybe get something .maybe a 308 any ideas.stuart

Your 243 shotuld be fine at that range, all you need is a chrono, ballistics program (plenty free out there on the web), rangefinder and a wind meter the basic kestrel one is fine.

Ideally you really need to be firing high BC heavy for calibre bullets to minimise windage through a barrel with a tight twist, but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains. A target turret type scope helps IMO.

"but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains."

You can't use hunting bullets for target shooting Cumbrian 1. Macfarlane may have some difficulty obtaining suitable target ammo for the .243 but will be O.K. if he reloads, A-max would be a good choice. I don't know why he would want a rangefinder either as ranges are normally set out at known ranges.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    Fancy trying some target shooting 600yard kind of thing.now ive got a 22/250and a 243 was wondering if i should just use them or maybe get something .maybe a 308 any ideas.stuart
    70gr sierra match kings work ok for 600yd target shooting. 87 or 105gr amax are available in 6mm too. Though the 105 needs a tight twist, my sako in 1-10" puts them through a target sideways at 50m!! But the 87's are great, and my 'range ammo' is all 70gr smk's. if your gun shoots the 105's, and your scope has the elevation, a 243 will do 1000yds ok, though I do use my 308 with 175 smk's at 1000

atb
    the Tramp

Quote Originally Posted by macfarlane View Post
    youe 243 will be fine at 600 yards I use mine all the time at that distance,get yourself a box of 80gr Bergers with Vit 160,find your accuarcy load and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    "but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains."

You can't use hunting bullets for target shooting Cumbrian 1. Macfarlane may have some difficulty obtaining suitable target ammo for the .243 but will be O.K. if he reloads, A-max would be a good choice.
    Also suitable are the following, neither of which are expanding ammunition. (These are good out to 1,000 yards from a 243 Win but you won't do it with a hunting scope).

Lapua 6mm 90gr HPBT Scenar #GB493
    Sierra Sierra 6mm 90gr FMJ #1535

The Lapua appeared to be more accurate than the Sierra, and they were quite acceptable. They were being tested by the same shooter who shot this group shown here http://www.teessideshooters.org.uk/index2.htm And he shot that with a 1942 Lee Enfield No 4 using standard battle sights and S&B factory .303 ammunition.

So, I would recommend the Lapua over the Sierra, even though they cost more.

-JMS

Try your 243 before you buy a dedicated target rifle
    the 243 is good out to 800 plus yds I shot my ackley to 1200 yds
    use high BC bullets for the twist you got and a good scope with turrets

Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    Try your 243 before you buy a dedicated target rifle
    the 243 is good out to 800 plus yds I shot my ackley to 1200 yds
    use high BC bullets for the twist you got and a good scope with turrets
    Dont worry about scope to try it. I get v-bulls with a meopta 6x42 on a 'loopy' .308 at 600yds.

Atb

Pete

You can not use the 22-250 on Mod ranges even with fmj unless you have a high energy range compency card or what ever they are called and the range is also coverd for that as well . Its ok on private ranges though.
    Bob

I don't know about higher energy but the .22-250 was banned on many MOD ranges because of velocity limits on many range safety certificates in the past.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.