caliber for trying target shooting

macfarlane

Fancy trying some target shooting 600yard kind of thing.now ive got a 22/250and a 243 was wondering if i should just use them or maybe get something .maybe a 308 any ideas.stuart

Your 243 shotuld be fine at that range, all you need is a chrono, ballistics program (plenty free out there on the web), rangefinder and a wind meter the basic kestrel one is fine.

Ideally you really need to be firing high BC heavy for calibre bullets to minimise windage through a barrel with a tight twist, but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains. A target turret type scope helps IMO.

"but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains."

You can't use hunting bullets for target shooting Cumbrian 1. Macfarlane may have some difficulty obtaining suitable target ammo for the .243 but will be O.K. if he reloads, A-max would be a good choice. I don't know why he would want a rangefinder either as ranges are normally set out at known ranges.

Fancy trying some target shooting 600yard kind of thing.now ive got a 22/250and a 243 was wondering if i should just use them or maybe get something .maybe a 308 any ideas.stuart
70gr sierra match kings work ok for 600yd target shooting. 87 or 105gr amax are available in 6mm too. Though the 105 needs a tight twist, my sako in 1-10" puts them through a target sideways at 50m!! But the 87's are great, and my 'range ammo' is all 70gr smk's. if your gun shoots the 105's, and your scope has the elevation, a 243 will do 1000yds ok, though I do use my 308 with 175 smk's at 1000

atb
the Tramp

youe 243 will be fine at 600 yards I use mine all the time at that distance,get yourself a box of 80gr Bergers with Vit 160,find your accuarcy load and enjoy

"but at 6ooyds you should be able to utilise normal hunting bullets from 80-100 grains."

You can't use hunting bullets for target shooting Cumbrian 1. Macfarlane may have some difficulty obtaining suitable target ammo for the .243 but will be O.K. if he reloads, A-max would be a good choice.

Also suitable are the following, neither of which are expanding ammunition. (These are good out to 1,000 yards from a 243 Win but you won't do it with a hunting scope).

Lapua 6mm 90gr HPBT Scenar #GB493
Sierra Sierra 6mm 90gr FMJ #1535

The Lapua appeared to be more accurate than the Sierra, and they were quite acceptable. They were being tested by the same shooter who shot this group shown here http://www.teessideshooters.org.uk/index2.htm And he shot that with a 1942 Lee Enfield No 4 using standard battle sights and S&B factory .303 ammunition.

So, I would recommend the Lapua over the Sierra, even though they cost more.

-JMS

Try your 243 before you buy a dedicated target rifle
the 243 is good out to 800 plus yds I shot my ackley to 1200 yds
use high BC bullets for the twist you got and a good scope with turrets

Try your 243 before you buy a dedicated target rifle
the 243 is good out to 800 plus yds I shot my ackley to 1200 yds
use high BC bullets for the twist you got and a good scope with turrets

Dont worry about scope to try it. I get v-bulls with a meopta 6x42 on a 'loopy' .308 at 600yds.

Atb

Pete

You can not use the 22-250 on Mod ranges even with fmj unless you have a high energy range compency card or what ever they are called and the range is also coverd for that as well . Its ok on private ranges though.
Bob

I don't know about higher energy but the .22-250 was banned on many MOD ranges because of velocity limits on many range safety certificates in the past.

some ranges are fine with expanding ammo
check your range

90g Berger BT Target is an other option which works well

any old scope will work, its nice to see the stickers on the bull but not essential!

How do you guys aim at the target with out turrets aim off the 600 yd target and get v- bulls that impressive

IF it were me I'd just try the 243 WIN . I've had 243 HB's several times that I used for bench paper punchers and enjoyed it quite a bit !

I will say I didn't shoot them out to 600 yards but i see no reason you shouldn't be able to do just that and very possibly with some positive results .

One thing to watch, if your 243 has a light barrel DO NOT let it get hot as that is the fastest way to kill the rifle other than not cleaning with the right equipment (bore guide, correct brush, revering the stroke half way etc)

If you do decide to buy another rifle 308 will give you plenty to pick from and shoots most stuff well, Tikka T3 Tactical will do you well..

One thing to watch, if your 243 has a light barrel DO NOT let it get hot as that is the fastest way to kill the rifle other than not cleaning with the right equipment (bore guide, correct brush, revering the stroke half way etc)

If you do decide to buy another rifle 308 will give you plenty to pick from and shoots most stuff well, Tikka T3 Tactical will do you well..

## Make that reversing not revering :oops:

How do you guys aim at the target with out turrets aim off the 600 yd target and get v- bulls that impressive
Wind it up by whatever is needed, or maxxed out like the meopta was, so I used the different points on the reticule. Yes, I was impressed too, as we're the group with me.

All MOD ranges have a muzzle velocity limit of 1000m/s, about 3280fps. The energy limit is 4500j before having to do the 'HME' procedures, then it goes up to 7000j (certain ranges only)
a 243 can easily be 'illegal' if you run lighter weight bullets. As can a .223 with 40gr. If you load a 22.250 with a reduced charge (H4895) then it's legal.
The reason expanding ammo needs 'clearance' is due to the 'unpredictable' way they may exit a target, either clearing the stop butt, or causing an injury to anybody in the markers gallery.

Atb.

The Tramp

some ranges are fine with expanding ammo
check your range

90g Berger BT Target is an other option which works well

any old scope will work, its nice to see the stickers on the bull but not essential!

It's not the range it's the legality. The law does not permit the use of expanding ammunition for competition or target shooting, expanding ammunition can only be used for limited practise and zeroing other than for it's intended use i.e. shoting deer.

Last edited:
You can not use the 22-250 on Mod ranges even with fmj unless you have a high energy range compency card or what ever they are called and the range is also coverd for that as well . Its ok on private ranges though.
Bob

I'm afraid you are sowing confusion with that comment.

Firstly, a .22-250 using factory ammunition will probably exceed the maximum velocity permitted on MOD ranges, which is typically 1000m/s (3280ft/s). However, there is no reason why handloaded 22-250 ammunition which falls below the maximum permitted velocity should not be used. There is no blanket ban on the 22-250.

Secondly, no matter how fast you push a bullet from a 22-250 there is no way it is going to get anywhere near the 4500 joule (3320 ft-lb) kinetic energy limit. Even if you pushed a 55gr bullet at 3,700fps, it only delivers 1670 ft-lbs. Therefore any mention of the HME protocol in connection to a 22-250 is entirely spurious and quite misleading.

I speak as both an NRA certifed High Muzzle Energy Range Conducting Officer and the owner of an HME rifle. The HME protocol was principally introduced as a consequence of the use of high velocity F-Class rifles. That's why the protocol involves shooting at a special target at 200 yards and adjusting the sight so the rifle is zeroed for 600 yards.

-JMS

Bob

Bob. I think you need to read the range orders for the range you want to shoot on. You may then find there is a maximum velocity stated.

The following firearms may be used on the range, but subject always to:
i.
for Rifles, generally, no calibre limitation but:
a maximum nominal muzzle velocity of 3,275 ft/sec (1,000 m/s), and
a maximum nominal muzzle energy of 3,319 ft. lbs. (4,500 Joules), and ....

Regards JCS

Back