Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seating Depth / cannelure

Seating Depth / cannelure

Hi All,
    I have just started reloading (308W), using Varget Powder and 150grn Hornandy Interlock bullets. My reloading manual states that with Varget the Min OAL is 2.800" however the Interlocks have a cannelure which when seated at the Min OAL are not in the neck of the case. Would i be better off getting bullets with no cannelure or can i use the Interlocks ?
    Thanks for any replies Pete

I load a very similar load but using N140 instead of Varget. Mine are also seated at 2.800" inch and they group under 1/2" all day long, the bottom of the cannelure is level with the top of the case. If they group, don't change a thing.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Another mis understood cannelurian. Ignore it's location.~Muir

The canalure that you talk about on the interlocks is in fact the depression which locks the case to the core. It has very little relevance to seating depth unless you are roll crimping.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Another mis understood cannelurian. Ignore it's location.~Muir

Agreed

nutty

Thanks Guys, I loaded 10 rounds with a OAL of 2.805" 46 grains of Varget, the MV thru the chrono gave a 10 shot average of 2777.5 fps ( 20" barrel) and i got the ten shots into just under an inch , i wasnt letting the barrel cool, just 10 quick shots, perhaps a smaller group if i let the barrel cool between shots,but im happy.
    Thanks for all your replies Pete

Quote Originally Posted by DCG View Post
    The canalure that you talk about on the interlocks is in fact the depression which locks the case to the core. It has very little relevance to seating depth unless you are roll crimping.
    +1 I use 100g interlocks and the ring is nowhere near the case and they are very accurate. I started with the ring at the case neck but could not get a decent group so measured to the lands then increased the oal till the groups tightened nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by MW3 View Post
    Hi All,
    I have just started reloading (308W), using Varget Powder and 150grn Hornandy Interlock bullets. My reloading manual states that with Varget the Min OAL is 2.800" however the Interlocks have a cannelure which when seated at the Min OAL are not in the neck of the case. Would i be better off getting bullets with no cannelure or can i use the Interlocks ?
    Thanks for any replies Pete
    Would be interested to find out how you get on as I've just loaded up some 165gn Interlocks using Federal Brass, Federal 210m Match primers and Reloader 15, TTL 2.010" and seating the bullet cannelure level to the neck of the case, overall comparator length 2.225". 5 each of 43.0gn, 43.4gn, 43.7gn, and 44gn. Was hoping to test them tomorrow but looks like the snow is on, so am gonna have to contain my excitement for now !!!!

You aren't allowed to shoot in the snow?? Wow. That sucks.~Muir