STOCKHOLM TAR

thomas

Thought I would post you a picture of a tree base I have been plastering with tar over the last 5 months. It gets visited most weeks, not sure by how many boar; maybe the same one(?). It seems to attract them well and there is always plenty of rooting nearby. Perhaps it's time to set up the high seat and start putting in a few hours to see what tuns up.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/thomasmargrett/IMG_1018.jpg

In hot summer it is always good idea to sometimes check area where boar bath in mud and then scratch. They usually have one favorite tree. :D
I heard about many big boars shot in midday in such places. The only drawback is that they are pretty dirty... :eek:

Greg

Hello Greg,

There is a nice wet muddy patch about 3/4 mile from where this picture was taken and it is used quite regularly by the boar; I often see where they have been by the mud trails they leave on the undergrowth as the push through after wallowing.

I am not too worried about shooting a muddy one!! It's the 1/2 mile climb from the tree in that picture and the 45 degree slope back to my truck that concerns me!!

Tom

There is a nice wet muddy patch about 3/4 mile

Tom,

From my experience it is usually below 100 yards from mud to the tree :eek: Are you sure there isn't any other wet patch closer? Maybe your tree is used by red deer? From your picture it seems to be marked quite high above the ground. You can always check the hair left on the tree. :rolleyes:

Good luck with whatever it was :D

Greg

call me stupid but why do you put stockholm tar on the tree the only time i have ever used it is years ago on pheasant chicks to help stop vent pecking

hello, was wondering if stockholm tar is another name for birch tar and is it possible to buy it in the uk. i have never seen it advertised in any catologues or at game fairs.
i tried something similar with cresote had been told that attracts them and seen similar photos of them rubbing bt/elccy poles, unfortanately it never worked thou.

I think birch tar is very similar. I get stockholm tar from local farm feed store (£5.0 for 1/2 litre); it is used to paint on horses hooves (don't know why) and is also rubbed on the udders of cows that have been cut or damaged to keep flies off. I have heard creosote works too. Telegraph / electric poles get used as rubbing posts as they are impregnated with tar or bitumen. Certainly works round here so give it a go.

I must say that Stockholm tar smells the same as birch tar.
Using on cows cuts and scratchs takes me back to the 60's when i milked cows for a liveing :) .
We can get Björk tar in gallon bottles, spray cans and cans. i think a lot of it is imported from Germany.
It a good thing to use when you first get signs of boar as the smell will pull them in from a long way. Its said it also helps the boar get rid of skin parasites.
Just for the intressklubben a couple of cases of mange in boar have been reported here. It would seem to be only found in boar in very small poor condition.

Hi all,

here is a german advert.
http://www.wildfutter.com/html/bht5_buchenholzteer.html

Buchenholzteer der Extraklasse,
doppelt gesiedet, mit einzigartiger Lockwirkung.

Man bestreicht damit Bäume in ca. 50-100 cm Höhe. Schwarz-, Rotwild wird über große Entfernung angelockt. Die bestrichenen Bäume nutzt das Schwarzwild zur Desinfektion der Haut gegen Parasiten, im praktischen 5 Liter Kanister.

This is what we use but it does stink.

Martin

Back