Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22lr & .22 FAC air velocities

.22lr & .22 FAC air velocities

Hope someone can answer this basic question for me:

.22lr fires a 40 grain projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1050 fps
    .22 FAC airgun fires a 16 grain projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1030 fps, so not much difference in speed there, although the FAC air is obviously going to deliver less punch on account of the lighter weight.

Therefore, can someone tell me what the difference in velocity will be at, say, 65 yards?

Hmmm found a table somewhere ages ago but can't find it now...

from memory it's quite a lot - the retained energy in a 22 was pretty substantial at 150 yds, whereas the FAC air rifle was starting to drop off significantly at 75yds.

Again from memory the 22lr at 110 ft/lbs had diminished to 34ft/lbs at said distance, and the air rifle at 50fy/lbs had dropped to 10ft/lbs at the same distance

Sorry this is a badly remembered response but replying using my iPhone!

SD Regular
    Hello. WEIGHT is the key to retaining velocity.

So the FAC air rifle will shed weight like a brick. If you are thinking of getting an FAC air rifle my advice is don't! A more useless thing I can't imagine. Goodness! Even a 22 "Zimmer" cartridge packs more punh for NO RECOIL than an FAC air rifle.

I had a Webley Patriot in stcok once. Tried it. Accuracy was awful - two inch groups at twenty five yards - and it was like being punched in the face by Mike Tyson!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Hello. WEIGHT is the key to retaining velocity.

So the FAC air rifle will shed weight like a brick. If you are thinking of getting an FAC air rifle my advice is don't! A more useless thing I can't imagine. Goodness! Even a 22 "Zimmer" cartridge packs more punh for NO RECOIL than an FAC air rifle.

I had a Webley Patriot in stcok once. Tried it. Accuracy was awful - two inch groups at twenty five yards - and it was like being punched in the face by Mike Tyson!
    Totally agree with this - had an FAC Theoben rapid... Noisier than my .22 but not as powerful. Cost 700 (.22 cost me 200), got about 40 shots before having to refil (.22 is as many as I can carry), needed servicing every year (70) whereas the .22 CZ is bombproof!!!

Get a normal air rifle, and if u still need more power get a .22lr! My air rifle does me to 60yds, and my .22lr does 25yds-150... So why bother with an FAC air rifle unless its a safety issue?

Have to admit though - no recoil on my FAC Theoben

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    So why bother with an FAC air rifle unless its a safety issue?
    Exactly that. The safety issue makes an FAC air rifle extremely useful rabbiting rifle for me.

My FAC air rifle has a similar effective rabbiting working range as the Finnlight (headshots up to 60metres, more on a still day) but with a far greater safety margin. The potential ricochet problems are much reduced with around a third of the over shoot range.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    . If you are thinking of getting an FAC air rifle my advice is don't! A more useless thing I can't imagine.
    Don't worry, the thought never entered my head! I love my .22lr too much for that!
    Just interested to know the actual difference in stopping power, when the muzzle velocity is almost identical.

Buy a daystate wolverine 30cal 120flbs 55 grain pellets I have been shoting rabbits out to 90 plus mtrs great tool.

martyn

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Hope someone can answer this basic question for me:

.22lr fires a 40 grain projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1050 fps
    .22 FAC airgun fires a 16 grain projectile with a muzzle velocity of 1030 fps, so not much difference in speed there, although the FAC air is obviously going to deliver less punch on account of the lighter weight.

Therefore, can someone tell me what the difference in velocity will be at, say, 65 yards?
    Hi VSS,
    At 65 yards, your FAC airgun pellet has dropped 11.4", has a ME of 11 foot pounds and a muzzle velocity of 550 fps
    A 22lr will drop 7.3" is still carrying 77 foot pounds and is going at 931 feet per second give or take.

As everybodies said, it's all in the mass of the bullet. You've got to weigh up the advantages of short range FAC air vs the greater capacity of 22lr, not forgetting the fact that 22lr is the worst bouncer of all time.
    If it were my choice, I'd get a 22 lr, best bet.
    There are loads of different load combo's to choose from. CCI quiets are close to high end FAC air but a ton quieter (no pun intended), right up to barn burning stingers at 1640fps...

Thanks Orvil, that's exactly the info I was looking for.