BASC expands firearms team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest if you want to speak to paul for advice you ring BASCs firearms dept on 01244 573010, quote your membership number and ask his advice. It is not a good use of his time to be on here during work hours and risk becoming embroiled with history. He has only been with us for two weeks and has a lot of things to do for his induction to BASC which I oversee.

I hope you understand and maybe one day Paul might be the subject of a good string or perhaps come on here a bit but at the moment we have to urge members to use proper channels for advice.

atb

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for the BASC to have one identity (with trade membership) on here then members, and others, could clearly see which comments were 'official' BASC opinion? If individual members of staff chose to sign off their posts with name and job title then that would help but at least we would all be able to see that they are singing from one song sheet.

This would also allow both the SD membership and the BASC head shed to clearly see how much staff time was being spent on internet forums and judge whether or not it was a worthwhile use of their time.

Obviously BASC staff, like anyone else, would be free to have their own user names under which they could express whatever opinions they like in their own time or, for that matter, in work time if BASC internal IT policy allows.

Personally speaking, I am no fan of the BASC for reasons that are not relevant here but, I do accept that they have some very dedicated staff (I know two personally) and they do some great work, especially in the 'Young shots' area. It is a shame that the negative incidents will always recieve more attention especially given the powerful medium of the internet, combined with the eagerness of a couple of members of staff to rise to the bait, but that is just the way it is.

MPERRING BASC Might need to spread them selves thin abit mate the fact that they have a monopoly up here regards DMQ and i here there might be moves to take forward BP buy them and BDS would mean that they need to be all things to all people. ;)
What i would say is if they are going to run a qualification that is mandatory they better be open and transparent to all.!!!p
s this is in Scotland of coarse. May i also welcome dale i have spoke with him on the phone and he seemed a very decent and help full chap. I will state that i am not a BASC member

Come on guys, BASC is our association and do a hell of a lot for us, largely unthanked and unnoticed it would seem. Surely having somebody experienced from a firearms licensing perspective has to be a positive. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if Paul is no use or help I'm sure it will be a short stay. If not, as per previous post, a poacher turned gamekeeper has some attraction.

BTW I would not measure success in terms of how many very large calibre magnums he can get on the books in the first week!

My tuppence worth!

Come on guys, BASC is our association and do a hell of a lot for us, largely unthanked and unnoticed it would seem. Surely having somebody experienced from a firearms licensing perspective has to be a positive. Proof of the pudding will be in the eating, if Paul is no use or help I'm sure it will be a short stay. If not, as per previous post, a poacher turned gamekeeper has some attraction.

BTW I would not measure success in terms of how many very large calibre magnums he can get on the books in the first week!

My tuppence worth!

Well said, i can gaurantee Paul is highly likely to make the six month probationary period of which im mentoring and monitoring him through and as we share an office im proud to say that the last two weeks of queries ive heard Paul answer have been top notch and hes not phased by anything including his ex customers from West Mids.

Paul has been through a lengthy set of interviews 3 in total with BASCs CEO, director of firearms and the 3 other officers Paul now works with. If we were not happy with the final candidates we would have gone to advertise the job again. That happened to the job i now hold. I had no idea of the first round nor that it was unsuccessful. I stumbled upon it, applied and won the job so we can wait if we need to.

My tuppence worth!

Well said Penyard.

Whenever BASC gets a mention here there are always a few who use it to air their personal grievances.

I'm sure BASC has considered the potential implications of hiring a former FLO and is comfortable with it. I doubt there's a licensing officer working anywhere in the UK who hasn't upset someone at some point during their career.

Lets give the fella a chance to do a good job.

Cheers,

Bob

Ive just spoken to Peter Marshall Dir of Shooting Standards and he said hes very happy to answer questions about BP, DMQ and compulsory testing etc in Scotland. He can be contacted by email peter.marshall@basc.org.uk or by phone tel:01244 573018

Well said, i can gaurantee Paul is highly likely to make the six month probationary period of which im mentoring and monitoring him through and as we share an office im proud to say that the last two weeks of queries ive heard Paul answer have been top notch and hes not phased by anything including his ex customers from West Mids.

Paul has been through a lengthy set of interviews 3 in total with BASCs CEO, director of firearms and the 3 other officers Paul now works with. If we were not happy with the final candidates we would have gone to advertise the job again. That happened to the job i now hold. I had no idea of the first round nor that it was unsuccessful. I stumbled upon it, applied and won the job so we can wait if we need to.
With respect, you may be happy but it`s the paying membership that matter. Time will tell.

With respect, you may be happy but it`s the paying membership that matter. Time will tell.

I agree and the membership was at the heart of my comments. Im a member too, not just an employee. Its not a question of bums on seats that interact well with colleagues, we vet capability to serve the members best interests.

No posability of the old boy network working here then?

Forgot to add.

I have Looked Into joining BASC. 3 times. But I fail to see any real evidence of what they actuly accomplish for shooters.

My neighbour very kindly let's me have the BASC magazines after he has read them. He only is a member for the insurance!

Last edited:
I have Looked Into joining BASC. 3 times. But I fail to see any real evidence of what they actuly accomplish for shooters.

Did you see any news coverage after Mr Bird went on his shooting rampage? BASC were on every news bulletin on TV/Radio defending our sport. The review afterwards concluded that things were ok left as they were - no crazy knee jerk reaction as has happened before. A lot of that is down to BASC. They are working in the background.

I know they made themselves unpopular going against the small rearing cages, but I do think they are right. They campaign and have contacts high up in various organisations.

Also, do any other shooting organisations a) engage their members (and non-members and staunch critics) openly on forums such as this, b) do so at nearly midnight in their own free time?

I will continue to renew my membership. Cheap insurance is fine, but not if there is no shooting to be done.

Speaking as a Wildfowler on the Humber we were **** on from a great height by certain individuals from within BASC and i thought that they were the lowest of the low.
But recent dealings i have had with them have altered my veiws massively, i never thought i would need their help or advice and the only thing that kept me in the organisation was a current condition of club mebership.
They redeemed them self in my eyes when fought my corner with a county council over stalking related issues where on my own i would have been at best floundering.
I have had good advice and help from the land mangement, firearms, and stalking departments and i think it can only be a good thing having pauls experience on board.
What im trying to say is dont knock it untill you have tried it or needed it, his experience and knowledge from the other side will no doubt help Basc members in the future so my tuppence worth is give him a chance. DF

Speaking as a Wildfowler on the Humber we were **** on from a great height by certain individuals from within BASC and i thought that they were the lowest of the low.
But recent dealings i have had with them have altered my veiws massively, i never thought i would need their help or advice and the only thing that kept me in the organisation was a current condition of club mebership.
They redeemed them self in my eyes when fought my corner with a county council over stalking related issues where on my own i would have been at best floundering.
I have had good advice and help from the land mangement, firearms, and stalking departments and i think it can only be a good thing having pauls experience on board.
What im trying to say is dont knock it untill you have tried it or needed it, his experience and knowledge from the other side will no doubt help Basc members in the future so my tuppence worth is give him a chance. DF

Well said I to have had to use them once and glad I did, and its also a condition of my wildfowling clubs membership to be a Basc member also but even if this wasn't the case I would still be a member, I unlike a few others on here have heard them plenty of times on the radio, tv, and in the press and quite clearly are the biggest voice for shooting sports in the UK, but like anything they are not perfect and are going to make mistakes but can hopefully learn from them and move towards a better future for our sport.....

To my mind employing an ex FEO is a wise decision by BASC, if you need to negotiate with FLD's on the behalf of the shooting community having someone on your team with inside knowledge of how FLD's operate is invaluable. The appointment of Mr Dale is a positive and necessary step in the right direction. atb Tim

My observations:

a) Employing a former licensing manager/FEO seems eminently sensible to me. Employing a former competitor, a supplier, or government agency employee is standard industry practice and is a great way to bring in experience and insight which you would otherwise not get. Any suggestion that he would have some sort of hidden 'allegiance' to his former employer is simply ridiculous. Why on earth would he? Are any of you passing 'secrets' back to your former employers?

b) Yes, we are all too aware which of you have had specific personal disagreements with BASC in the past but to bring those issues up over and over again in order to derail a completely unrelated thread for no other reason than it is about BASC does no one any favours. It's divisive and in terms of shooting sports is cutting your nose to spite your face.

So... unless your reply is concerning the specific subject of this thread please do not post it in this thread. If you do I will delete it.

Thank you.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back