Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Forestry Commission Leases Going Non Lead!

Exclamation Scottish Forestry Commission Leases Going Non Lead!

While perusing the web for leases on Scottish Forestry Commission land I came across something that I had never heard before. By 2015 they expect to be completely free of people using non lead ammunition. Here is the link:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/CoveringLetterDeerManagementPermissionAgreement.pd f/$file/CoveringLetterDeerManagementPermissionAgreement.pd f

Now after asking a friend if he thought it would impact our shooting for a local wildlife trust he contacted a friend in the Forestry Comission and came back to me with this reply:

"
    The word from the front is that yes FC Scotland will adopt non-lead as policy in due course although it might be a little beyond the 2015 timescale indicated in the letter. They have been using 110gr Barnes TTSX .270 loaded by Norma and now have a substantial (tens of thousands) track record of deer taken successfully with this combination.

There is currently no indication that FC England will go the same way until pushed".

I have done a search on the forum and could not find anything written about this subject. I apologise if it has been posted, but I thought it was worth the risk.

Simon.

Gregor at Macleods told me this sept last year and a lot of Rangers at that point using that combo.

nutty

Hi FT at the BP days 4years ago this was discused at balistics sessions .It was copper bullets
    The downside was it was a threw & threw. bullets to hard good back stop required
    DEN

As of 2009 the RSPB have decided or maybe already have phased out the use of lead bullets

on thier reserves.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/our...r-control.aspx
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

What does the copper do to the trees? I was always told that if you wanted to kill a tree then you hammered a copper nail into it.

it's true, lead free starting in 2014 I thought? barnes triple shock tipped seems to be quite a good choice but I'm not sure about it on smaller deer

TSX have worked fine on small deer in my hands, I think the lighter bullet weights for a given calibre make sense

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    it's true, lead free starting in 2014 I thought? barnes triple shock tipped seems to be quite a good choice but I'm not sure about it on smaller deer

Thats what I thought too

I spoke to a chap from the FC at the LDNS day at Hamilton and he said the rangers were using them, some contractors too and from 2014 all leases were to adhere. May be wrong though

There was a retired ballistics/forensic police officer there too showing the ballistic gel comparisons of lead, ballistic tips and lead free bullets, didn't see much to put me off copper to be honest, some mentioned the potential price increase of factory ammo may be an issue

Its not something I've looked into yet and as i don't homeload, I wonder if there will be a decent choice of factory ammo available when the time comes?

by a decent choice do you mean the odd box that might turn up in your local gun shop at 3.20 a shot...

you need to reload and buy bullets from cliffs http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Cat...arnes_TTSX.htm

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    by a decent choice do you mean the odd box that might turn up in your local gun shop at 3.20 a shot...

you need to reload and buy bullets from cliffs http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Cat...arnes_TTSX.htm
    Aye, "Might" and "Odd" being the operative words Paul

Looks like it might be enough to start me rolling my own