Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Realistic 6.5x55 Velocities

  1. #1

    Realistic 6.5x55 Velocities

    All,

    I have done a bit of reloading for my 6.5 Swede but never got a chronograph. Out of a 22" barrel what are some realistic top end velocities one could expect pushing out 140gr bullets. Thanks for any help in advance.

    HD

  2. #2
    HD

    I'm pushing 140gr SSTs out at 2,660fps using 46.7 grains if N160.

    That's from a Sako 75 with 1:8 twist.

    So many variables... I'd try and find a chrono to borrow or it'll all be theory with your ammo

    Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  3. #3
    I am shooting 120's at just under 2900 from my FN Commercial, not a 96 Swede. The useable case capacity of the 6.5x55 is 3% higher than the 260 Remington. In a strong, modern rifle there is room to investigate higher pressures and velocities. JMHO of course.~Muir

  4. #4
    As above I'm pushing Barnes TTSX 120g at around 2900fps with reloader 19 or 22 sub moa groups in my Tikka and howa, deer don't like them that's for sure....

  5. #5
    I'm using Nosler Partition's 140gr, RL22 and getting 2650fps, hope this helps.
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    As above I'm pushing Barnes TTSX 120g at around 2900fps with reloader 19 or 22 sub moa groups in my Tikka and howa, deer don't like them that's for sure....
    True that. I used 140s' this past season but I'm sure 120's would have done as well on those big deer. Fabulous deer cartridge.~Muir

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotwild View Post
    I'm using Nosler Partition's 140gr, RL22 and getting 2650fps, hope this helps.
    Hi Rotwild,

    I'm using this combination of projectile and powder too and wondered what weight of powder you were using?

    I tested some loads yesterday morning and found there to be little variation in grouping with rounds loaded with weights between 46.0 and 47.5 grains. Somewhat ironically of the loads containing 46.5 grains of RL22 gave the worst grouping despite the Nosler Reloading Manual 6 suggesting this was the most accurate round tested for this load. Having tested five lots of three rounds with 44.0, 45.0, 46.0, 46.5, 47.0 and 47.5 grains respectively I then fired three rounds of Norma Partition 140grn as a comparison. I found the round loaded with 47.5 grains gave the grouping closest to Norma factory rounds.

    Cheers,
    Stalker Ned

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    As above I'm pushing Barnes TTSX 120g at around 2900fps with reloader 19 or 22 sub moa groups in my Tikka and howa, deer don't like them that's for sure....
    yep same bullet and speed i drove mine at with N560 and N160

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchie Dawg View Post
    All,

    I have done a bit of reloading for my 6.5 Swede but never got a chronograph. Out of a 22" barrel what are some realistic top end velocities one could expect pushing out 140gr bullets. Thanks for any help in advance.

    HD
    I have been using a Sako 75 ( 22.75" barrel ) in 6.5 x 55 for several years. In MY rifle I have been able to achieve 3000 ft/sec with a range 120g bullets and 2800 with several 140g bullets. I hasten to add that two of my friends using different makes of rifle ran into pressure signs well short of these velocities. My working load with Nosler 120g BT is 2920 ft/sec as this suits the ladder reticle on my scope. My working load with 140g Sierra Game King is 2785ft/sec. Both these loads are very effective game stoppers. My favorite powders are H4350 and Vit160 with Re22 coming close. I have found that Re22 comes into its own with the heavy weights eg 156g Lapua Mega at 2600ft/sec. Many reloaders push the 120g at around the 2900 mark and the 140g at around 2700 in modern rifles.


    Andy.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Ned View Post
    Hi Rotwild,

    I'm using this combination of projectile and powder too and wondered what weight of powder you were using?

    I tested some loads yesterday morning and found there to be little variation in grouping with rounds loaded with weights between 46.0 and 47.5 grains. Somewhat ironically of the loads containing 46.5 grains of RL22 gave the worst grouping despite the Nosler Reloading Manual 6 suggesting this was the most accurate round tested for this load. Having tested five lots of three rounds with 44.0, 45.0, 46.0, 46.5, 47.0 and 47.5 grains respectively I then fired three rounds of Norma Partition 140grn as a comparison. I found the round loaded with 47.5 grains gave the grouping closest to Norma factory rounds.

    Cheers,
    Stalker Ned
    I'm using 46.5grains of RL22, i'm trying Nosler 120gr B/T next when i find what power to use!
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted SAKO 75/85 6.5x55 WANTED or any other 6.5x55 concidered
    By Knifeman in forum Firearms
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-08-2017, 13:41
  2. .22lr & .22 FAC air velocities
    By VSS in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-01-2013, 15:55
  3. The Hunter - The most realistic hunting game online
    By Tartan_Terrier in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 12:30
  4. Privi Partizan velocities .243 and .222
    By redcoat in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-12-2011, 18:56
  5. velocities 243 308
    By pete evans in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13-10-2010, 20:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •