Thread: Venison fat and bone marrow?

Venison fat and bone marrow?

In the Us we don't eat venison fat. I assume that's the same in the UK? I have several recipies that call for beef shank. I usually discard the venison bones, should I use them? thanks, capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    In the Us we don't eat venison fat. I assume that's the same in the UK? I have several recipies that call for beef shank. I usually discard the venison bones, should I use them? thanks, capt david
    I have never used the fat from venison in cooking and don't know anyone who does but that's not to say you shouldn't, I guess just experiment. I was told that unlike things like pork or beef fat venison fat solidifies at a higher temperature so it ha different cooking properties.

I saw an episode of river cottage where Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall used the fat from around the kidneys of a Sika staggy as suet to make a jam roly poly.

As for the bones, I have used them to make stock before but I don't find it overly flavoursome. If I have bones they tend to end up either as dog food or they get discarded.

I have recently used fallow deer back fat to start a venison pie, that is to fry up the leeks and onions, and it did give the pie extra flavour. This may not be to everyone's liking, but I did like it. I think deer fat works for cooking but maybe use it sparingly.

I have yet to try to eat deer bone marrow but look forward to trying. The stock made from deer bones is excellent. Roast the cut bones, then boil clean.

I have saved some deer ribs. This is a new idea too I have not seen before. Maybe there is a good reason? But it is worth a try.

i cut the leg bones in the middle then roast them for a bit and then use for stock it is really good but you need a few.