Would I need a variation to re-barrel?

BunnyDoom

Not thinking of doing it but am curious - would I need a variation to get a new barrel if I'm sticking with the same calibre?

I notice some rifles have the serial number on the barrel, so wondered if they just stamped the new barrel and junked the old one?

no if you simply hand the gun to an RFD and the barrel is replaced (RFD keeps old barrel) and one rifle of same calibre and Serial Number is handed back to you its OK

long establisehd in law that this is OK without a variation

I did this years ago with one of my 1911 pistols and more recently with a 10-22, the barrels were juat swapped over.
I hear what you are saying about barrels carrying the serial number, mu CZ 455 has the serial on both the reciever and the barrel.

Ian

mu CZ 455 has the serial on both the reciever and the barrel.

Ian

Only because it is a switch barrel gun, no number on the earlier 452 barrel.
If there is no number on the barrel how would a variation show anything had changed ?

Neil. :)

Only because it is a switch barrel gun, no number on the earlier 452 barrel.
If there is no number on the barrel how would a variation show anything had changed ?

That's my argument with moderators - but that's a whole other thread! Does seem weird you can change an essential bit of the rifle with no variation, but you're supposed to get one to swap the mod!

Thanks guys appreciate your answers

That's my argument with moderators - but that's a whole other thread! Does seem weird you can change an essential bit of the rifle with no variation, but you're supposed to get one to swap the mod!

The only fly in the ointment with the moderator one is this...........
Several years ago I bought a moderator for my .22lr, I asked the shop to enter it as a no make and no number, this was
done with no problem and I informed firearms licensing in the normal way.
Several months later my licence went in for a variation, also no issue, but the licence came back with the no make no number mod
entered on my licence as a Wildcat moderator, no number, when I questioned this I was told the details had been received from the computer
data forwarded by the dealer I bought the mod from, seems the shop system logs the moderators/firearms in and out with all details and automatically
forwards this at time of sale.
I didn't press the issue, but it leaves a problem in as much as I had already sold the moderator on and gone back to a Sac.
Luckily I have another older mod made by Wildcat that was only ever listed as no make no number, so I am covered, this time.

The only fly in the ointment with the moderator one is this...........
Several years ago I bought a moderator for my .22lr, I asked the shop to enter it as a no make and no number, this was
done with no problem and I informed firearms licensing in the normal way.
Several months later my licence went in for a variation, also no issue, but the licence came back with the no make no number mod
entered on my licence as a Wildcat moderator, no number, when I questioned this I was told the details had been received from the computer
data forwarded by the dealer I bought the mod from, seems the shop system logs the moderators/firearms in and out with all details and automatically
forwards this at time of sale.
I didn't press the issue, but it leaves a problem in as much as I had already sold the moderator on and gone back to a Sac.
Luckily I have another older mod made by Wildcat that was only ever listed as no make no number, so I am covered, this time.

Mine all say no make or serial number apart from the first one I ever bought - which is my fault as I put SAK on the description.

Having said this, without a serial # or stamp there is nothing legally to say its a SAK or some other make!

Mine all say no make or serial number apart from the first one I ever bought

The point I was making is that while it may be entered on your cert as no make no number, the records held by licensing could well be different.

I got that bit - point I was making is that I don't think that's true of all forces. I think most RFD's are savvy enough to just put ".243 moderator, no make and serial"... then I guess it depends on the firearms dept.

also how can they prove what you have isn't whatever you say it is?!

I got that bit - point I was making is that I don't think that's true of all forces. I think most RFD's are savvy enough to just put ".243 moderator, no make and serial"... then I guess it depends on the firearms dept.

also how can they prove what you have isn't whatever you say it is?!

It depends on the computer system the RFD uses, a good few seem to be using the one Guntrader do, that is the culprit, not the dealer.
The systems track orders and incoming stuff, collates it with sales and automatically records the data, so unless the dealer tells it lies, it will know, and will forward the data to the local licensing office.

Ah cunning... though is it really "lies" if they state there is no make or serial number stamped on the mod? Most don't!

thats because the sound mod is the licensable item, if you had the baffles changed in the same mod like a barrel change on a rifle there would be no issue. The silly thing with no serial numbers and it being an accessory it stands out as a nonsense but its purely wording if the law and variations are necessary.

Not thinking of doing it but am curious - would I need a variation to get a new barrel if I'm sticking with the same calibre?

I notice some rifles have the serial number on the barrel, so wondered if they just stamped the new barrel and junked the old one?

If the new barrel has a different serial number stamped on it I think you will need to get a variation to your FAC even if it is the same calibre. I recently replaced my Sauer 243 barrel (damaged the original) and the replacement had a different serial number. The shop wouldn't sell the replacement barrel without the necessary variation on the FAC.

Mulac

Mulac

Serial numbered barrels are only listed on FACs if its an interchangeable barrel ie like the blaser system. Any normal rifle with a new barrel fitted with its own serial number is ignored as the guns action number should always be the one registered on the FAC. the action is the more likely constant with a firearm, to change a barrel and require a variation would be a lot of unnecessary admin for all. However there are firearms where the serial number will be found elsewhere and the action left blank. I have re-barelled guns and restamped the gun with the same number, as an RFD this is lawful.

Dealers should not be withholding work on the basis of a barrel serial number on a prefix (non user interchangeable) barrel. The manufacturer has decided on adding a serial number but theres no obligation to use it. I would (as an RFD) book the barrel in on arrival from the supplier and quote any serial number in my Register. I would fit it to the rifle and make a register entry to say the barrel is now part of firearm serial number X and that its been returned to certificate holder A as firearm X regardless of barrel number 123

Last edited:
Depends

Ive seen forces list the barrel number when one gun is on the cert. Its usually through error, the dealer or whoever sees a number and uses it not thinking of the action number.

The best and proper way to list one blaser rifle first time round is to log the action number and call it a rifle. Then when the owner puts in a variation for a second barrel they should list the action number and two barrels separately though ive seen just the second barrel SN mentioned with the rifle as well.

As for conditions they can be funky but basically they usually list x calibre rifle and y calibre rifle shall be used for deer and fox or whatever.

Back