Maps required

Wingy

I have just taken on approx 600 acres of shooting permission and got a guided tour from the farmer. I know it's not a massive area but with a field or two and a small coppice pointed out as "that's not mine" here and there, I like to know that I'm legal at all times and not wondering into the realms of poaching / armed trespass.
I have on some other permissions been given maps which are more in detail than the OS maps detailing individual Forrest blocks & fields.
Question: what are these maps called and where / how would I obtain one.
I could then sit down with the farmer and pen on the boundary lines
Cheers Wingy

He probably gets sent a set of maps of all of the land that he farms every year when completing his Single Payment application form. Maybe you should ask him for last year's maps before he bins them, or ask if you can have this year's when he's finished filling the forms, which will be sent out in early March.

The OS will do you an address centred map, or ACE map, in a range of scales. They don't need to be centred on an actual street address and so can be centred on any place. They can be relatively expensive but are available as a download from the OS site (or at least used to be) so you can have one in your hand in a few minutes. They usually show features that you hadn't even noticed were there and the one I have is on a 1:5000 scale.

In saying all of that I suspect Google Earth is probably a much better tool for what you want to do and you can just print out the images to suit you. Where the area of ground is large print it across several A4 sheets and carry them with you for reference.

Try google earth and google maps i use them and they are spot on i print them of and mark the boundries , and where not to shot .good luck

This may be of use to many of you. its for use with google earth downlaod this file http://www.brock-family.org/gavin/google-earth/osmaps.kml it will overlay os maps on any area your looking at on google earth. shows all footpaths etc.
So download KML file and when ever you doudle click the file it will open goole earth and you shpuld see the os maps logo bottm left. when you zoom into the area you are intersested in the arial photo will turn into the os map of that area. it does take a second or 2 to happen depends on your pc performance i think. if any one has any probs pm me and i will try and help, im no wizz with it just stummbled across it on day. Enjoy

Back