Thread: Harness and track lead

Harness and track lead

Hi Guys

Looking for a harness and 10 mtr tracking leash

Two that have stood out niggeloh and karenswood

Anyone have any info on the best harness and leash

Karenswood have leather.

Niggeloh synthetic

Would leather give a better service and which one suits the dog better, it is for a good sized GWP
    any info would be good and or any other that are out there

Cheers
    phil

Hi Phil!
    I wouldnt recommend to use leather.... It wont last too long under the rough tracking conditions....
    The Niggeloh stuff is as far as I know by using all kinds of collars and leashes, the best gear.
    If you are looking fora special offer, send me a pm and I will sort something out for you....
    Maybe you look also here: header
    They are producing all kinds of tracking gear and offer the best flexible collars, also with custom made solutions for holding the GPS, etc. ....

atb

Michael
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Guys

Karenswood have leather.

Niggeloh synthetic

Would leather give a better service and which one suits the dog better, it is for a good sized GWP

Cheers
    phil
    Hello Philip,

I use the niggeloh harness but not the lead. I have a leather lead which is far easier to handle in woodland and I have no probs with maintenance, I oiled it when new and haven't had to do anything more. When it gets wet I let it dry naturally. Leather is heavier and that makes it perform better especially in thicker plantations , it doesn't get tied up as often as the lighter leads and over the years I have tried alot.

I hardly use a lead because of the snagging problem, Usually on clear fells where it can slow the dog down, not a bad thing due to the dangers of the dog being injures or worse, clear fells can be dangerous places for dogs if they keep moving too fast. The harness is excellent and spreads the weight of a dragging a lead onto the chest instead of the neck, which could cause problems later in the dogs life.

The best bit of kit I use now is the Sport Dog GPS collar, great bit of kit alway know where the dog is, what speed he is travelling, what direction and when he stops the handset vibrates, bit disconcerting if it's in your pocket at the time , Alfie usually only stops for one reason! It also has a collar bleeper on it so I don't even use a whistle now, if I want him back I just bleep him and he appears.
    Not advertising here but if you get to read the Sporting Gun March issue, out on Feb 1st than you will see the article about Alfie and the harness with the tracking lead, in that I use the niggeloh lead.Should be some pics there too but I don't know what they print until it is done.

I hope that helps and if you need any further info Pm me or call on 07889 843 522.

Best regards.

Jon.
    Last edited by roestalker; 27-01-2013 at 09:03.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

Wolverine advised me to get a 10mtr lead made of 'Biothane', which is a type of plastic. The one I bought is lightweight, soft and bright yellow in colour. I have only used it on training tracks so far but it seems to do the trick. A wipe with a damp cloth is all that is needed.

I use a leather tracking lead but will probably buy one of the newish biothane leads this year. Hi viz orange or yellow they stand out very well, don't coil, nead zero maintenance and like the leather don't pick up pine needles, thistles or other things off the ground. I know two lads who use them and rate them highly.

Speak to our newest trade member, Strong_Stuff. He made this for me

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ng-Dog-Harness

It is very easy to use and requires no maintenance.

You can't go wrong with Akah or Niggeloh. I have a Hi Viz collar and Hi Viz round biothane tracking lead by Akah and there good quality. Both sourced by kit off here.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Guys

Karenswood have leather.

Niggeloh synthetic

Cheers
    phil

i don't know anything about them, but they seem to be quite cheap here;

Dog Accessories - Accessories - My Hunting Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Deepocean View Post
    You can't go wrong with Akah or Niggeloh. I have a Hi Viz collar and Hi Viz round biothane tracking lead by Akah and there good quality. Both sourced by kit off here.
    I agree with the Akah gear. I bought a cheaper small collar for the dog when she was a pup that I have since passed on to a mate for use on his young dog. I then replaced it with a leather collar by Akah. 40 is not a lot of money for something that will last 20 years. the small one will come back to me when I am next training a pup. I got the lead from Kit at Muntjac Trading. He has a good choice there.

I use a orange washing line type 10mtr lead. Costs about 10. It will see 5 dogs out. Harness, nylon webbing with reflex thread sewn in about 12. Don't see any advantage in spending the best part of 100 on a tracking harness and lead.