Falling out with a mate!

shortshot

After a good day pheasant shooting Friday me and the spaniel decided to head East another hundred miles and put some time in on the roe cull. (The gypsies with their 4x4's and runnning dogs have been.... making a mess and getting bogged in wet wheatfields) They don't walk nowadays they drive like a legit foxshooter, spot the eyes and launch a longdog or two down the beam at unsuspecting night grazing roe deer.
Once a fortnight, I head up there to try and grass a few roe and/or get in some pigeon decoying. ..... split post gotta go!

sorry to continue.... parked up with about 20 mins. of usable light and head off with spaniel at heel for known "hot area." Dog is a real asset to locate fallen in bad light/dark.
Final careful approach rewarded with family trio heading my way at 150 yards down my hedge. But lights going fast. Dog sat and stay mode, I crawl to shooing position but light poor and deer still browsing against hedge but coming this way.... finally at 50 yards the shot is taken, two deer run out into open and stop at 100, another round is already chambered, sight prcture looks good.. but whoa...bloody dog is out there too.
Deer and dog stand looking at each other, dog realises "he has jumped the gun" and starts too return, deer bounce away but stand again at 200ish but dog is still out there somewhere between.
A minute or two the dog is back and suffering a shaking and ear twisting, he yelps and howls a bit and.... two more hitherto unseen deer appear and exit the scene.
One deer instead of three or even five if only....... or if.......
ps he still got to gobble the heart and kidneys even if I didn't touch/stroke his head for at least the next hour!

Hi Shortshot

Looks like a little more sit stay training is required to prevent running in though it is extremly difficult.Especially with a high energy dog like a spaniel.
Since he did return I 100% do not recommend taking your frustrations out on him as he is less likely to return so quick next time.
Next time try to drop the dog closer to you or teach it to crawl in by your side. You can always practice this where the general public arent looking :D
I also recommend reflective hunting collars so you can spot you dog in the twighlight much easier. Horsedata manufacture these.

Good hunting

Mark

Back