Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Wolfhounds and Scottish Deerhounds

Irish Wolfhounds and Scottish Deerhounds

I would love to see pics of these two breeds if any of you guys own either !

There's a guy in my village that has three deer hounds and another guy who comes into the local pub that brings a lovely deer hound bitch with him, they are all beautiful calm good natured dogs but they are all show dogs. I don't know if there any deer hounds that are still worked in the U.K. but would certainly be iterested to hear if there are.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Beautiful dogs,not a lot worked on deer,there are a few though-Scottish deerhounds.
    I know of no wolfhounds worked to deer.
    Very calm dogs and good natured.As 8x57 says though mostly show dogs,can have problems with shunt as well.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

First time I ever saw an Irish Wolfhound I was at a Hunt Race here at Monteplier (home of past president James Madison) . Anyway that thing stood up and put his paws on his owners shoulders and looked him in the eye . The owner was maybe 6'4" tall !

Very polite dog for a big bruiser like that as you say .

I have no intrest in either breed for sporting use I just like seeing them .

About the only dogs I'll ever keep for actual use anylonger would be an English Setter or two and thats just for birds . And of course a Border Terrier or two as lap/house dogs .

As wolverine said very calm dogs, a guy i used to work with bred them but stopped because of major health problems with shunt and
    cancer most of his died before they reached 9 years old, he blamed it on the limited gene pool& show breeders only in it for the money.

Shunt is not a term or a condition in dogs that I was aware of until wolverine mentioned it so I looked it up on the internet. I take it that with large dogs we are talking about liver shunt?

Yep that's how it was descibed to me,apparently lots of twisted bowel problems too.

Thanks unicorn, you learn something new everyday.

Not my cup of tea but a real lurcher would have took the deer from the off

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I would love to see pics of these two breeds if any of you guys own either !
    don't own them, but they are run at the lure coursing events that i take my whippets too during the summer, heres some photos from a show, done by a photographer that also covers the lure coursing
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."