Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratting in Dorset - any interest?

Ratting in Dorset - any interest?

Is ratting with terriers a popular sport? Are there many folk out there looking for an opportunity?

I have an increasing rat population on a Dairy Farm that needs thinning out. It has to be a smoke and terriers job as shooting would not make a big enough dent.

This is not my area of expertise so open to any suggestions but not for shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Is ratting with terriers a popular sport? Are there many folk out there looking for an opportunity?

I have an increasing rat population on a Dairy Farm that needs thinning out. It has to be a smoke and terriers job as shooting would not make a big enough dent.

This is not my area of expertise so open to any suggestions but not for shooting.
    Ratting with terriers is probably some of the best fun you can have with your clothes on! I'd be surprised if you couldn't find someone to help out, one of the beaters on a local shoot? If not then probably start an offensive of trapping and poisoning.

Unfortunately I'm miles away otherwise I would like to help. Always a good day out and the dogs love doing something they were bred for.

I have a friend in bradford on avon whos rat mad.
    where abouts in dorset are you and I will ask him when i see him wednsady

West Dorset. Not far away from Dorchester.

ah wish i was closer havent done any for years used to love it so did the dogs warm work when it gets going damn good fun too till you got hit by mistake by over zealous cudgels

I'm a keeper near wincanton and am sure I can get a team up together with terriers to help you out one sat in feb.

I haven`t got any terriers but i`m willing to lend a hand.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I have a smoker and a terrier, may be able to get a few others if you get stuck. Or contact the ytene mink hounds they have a gang of lads who love ratting.

These guys were stalking with me a week or so back - Malc knows them well they would maybe up for a trip. Pretty sure we can combine with a bit more Fallow & Sika culling.

Last edited by IanF; 26-01-2013 at 21:16.
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062