Pass the 150 mark with a cracking 272 yard fox

Happy hunter

Heading out last night with a mate to some ground near his parents small holding I wasn't to convinced it was going to be a successful outing as by the time we got there the cloud cover had vanished and it was very crisp under foot. The first permission we covered drew a blank on the fox, but a barn owl put in a appearance when the fox pro was on "vole distress" nice to see them about. We made our way around and back to the truck and headed to the second farm we had to cover. The second farm is always a foxy spot but after 45 min nothing came to our calling so we once again headed back to the truck thinking it was going to be a blank night. Heading down the farm track my mate had one last scan with the lamp where he got the faintest of flashes from the wood edge two fields over. Out the truck and over the gate the ground was frozen solid but the fox was still there every so often catching a glimpse as he looked our way. No amount of squeaking was going to budge it and it never even moved to any mating calls. Laying down for a look through the scope I could make out it was curled up ontop of an old bale dumped over the fence in the wood but at 390 i wasn't going to educate it. I slowly made my way down the dyke back checking every so often it was still there, but I had gone to far and once laid down couldn't see the fox due to the hedge separating the two fields. Quietly heading back up towards the truck I got to a point where I could see the fox when laid down and was sure I wouldn't hit the hedge, I ranged the edge of the wood and at 270 the shot was on. Getting settle behind the scope I lowered the lamp onto the fox and let out a holler and he lifted his head with the cross hairs firmly between his eyes I squeezed the trigger and sent 52grns of a-max on its way. No sound of impact was heard due to the echo from the wood but watching through the zeiss I clearly seen it roll of its perch it's eyes flicker for a second or two then out. Crunching my way down the field over the hedge and up the next field to the wood edge I could see the bale two yards into the wood one edge covered in blood with a decent sized fox crumpled in a heap down to the right hand side. He was a fine looking dog fox with a good bit of age about him and obviously thought he was very safe on his warm bale. The a-max had entered his neck never exited and about three inches below the point of aim which is spot on as the .223 is zeroed for 220yards. I was happy with the shot and decided to call it a night with a fox finally in the bag. Plenty more still to go a before the end of the month aswell.
Thanks for looking, Simon

Hi Simon.

Nice going bud.

i hope you have even more fun with the new rifle.
:thumb:
bob.

Heading out last night with a mate to some ground near his parents small holding I wasn't to convinced it was going to be a successful outing as by the time we got there the cloud cover had vanished and it was very crisp under foot. The first permission we covered drew a blank on the fox, but a barn owl put in a appearance when the fox pro was on "vole distress" nice to see them about. We made our way around and back to the truck and headed to the second farm we had to cover. The second farm is always a foxy spot but after 45 min nothing came to our calling so we once again headed back to the truck thinking it was going to be a blank night. Heading down the farm track my mate had one last scan with the lamp where he got the faintest of flashes from the wood edge two fields over. Out the truck and over the gate the ground was frozen solid but the fox was still there every so often catching a glimpse as he looked our way. No amount of squeaking was going to budge it and it never even moved to any mating calls. Laying down for a look through the scope I could make out it was curled up ontop of an old bale dumped over the fence in the wood but at 390 i wasn't going to educate it. I slowly made my way down the dyke back checking every so often it was still there, but I had gone to far and once laid down couldn't see the fox due to the hedge separating the two fields. Quietly heading back up towards the truck I got to a point where I could see the fox when laid down and was sure I wouldn't hit the hedge, I ranged the edge of the wood and at 270 the shot was on. Getting settle behind the scope I lowered the lamp onto the fox and let out a holler and he lifted his head with the cross hairs firmly between his eyes I squeezed the trigger and sent 52grns of a-max on its way. No sound of impact was heard due to the echo from the wood but watching through the zeiss I clearly seen it roll of its perch it's eyes flicker for a second or two then out. Crunching my way down the field over the hedge and up the next field to the wood edge I could see the bale two yards into the wood one edge covered in blood with a decent sized fox crumpled in a heap down to the right hand side. He was a fine looking dog fox with a good bit of age about him and obviously thought he was very safe on his warm bale. The a-max had entered his neck never exited and about three inches below the point of aim which is spot on as the .223 is zeroed for 220yards. I was happy with the shot and decided to call it a night with a fox finally in the bag. Plenty more still to go a before the end of the month aswell.
Thanks for looking, Simon

good effort
wait till you fill that 243 slot and you will be taking them on at 390yds!!

good effort
wait till you fill that 243 slot and you will be taking them on at 390yds!!

Cheers lads
250-300 yards a night is any amount! Day/night with the .22/250 is a different matter but had no rounds loaded untill today the .223 usually wears a n550.
that slot will be filled 11am tomorrow, I think you've seen the rifle!?

Back