Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog choice

Dog choice

I'm in need of a dog for tracking and the odd bit of wildfowling (duck).

Ideally I'd like a wire hair daschund, but have doubts about ability to retrieve duck across marsh/bog.

I've had spaniels in the past, but want something a bit calmer

Anyone with experience of daschunds please or indeed suggestions of similar size dogs that could fulfil both roles.
    Last edited by dryan; 26-01-2013 at 17:47.

Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post

Ideally I'd like a wire hair daschund, but have doubts about ability to retrieve duck across march/bog.

Anyone with experience of daschunds please or indeed suggestions of similar size dogs that could fulfil both roles.
    OMG!! What have we done Our One year old Cocker Spaniel has just arrived today!
    Wish us luck

Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post

Ideally I'd like a wire hair daschund, but have doubts about ability to retrieve duck across marsh/bog.

Labrador!

Have a look at the Airedale. I have started working my pup, coming on stalks at the moment and is great for letting me know when we are coming onto deer. I have her tracking artificial lines with great success and now waiting for that moment when I need her to find a deer that has run on a bit after the shot.

I have her crossing streams and she has taken to water brilliantly but I just need a bit more retrieval work, recall, flushing on good rabbit, pheasant ground and then when it comes to Aug or Sept, start getting her out on the waterwith a few winged dummy retrieves.

The only down side of this breed is they have a mind ofmtheirmown and sometimes can be strong willed, but bacon pieces is a great persuasion tool for any job.

As a young boy I grew up with two labradors and a few Malinois sheperds. Since about 1990 I have springers. Always in between 5 and 10 in the kennel. About 15 years ago I had a wirehaired Dachshund. Get a LABRADOR.
    A Dachshund is just to small to retrieve duck. He will do it in perfect conditions, but when the going gets tough, just to small. He even is to small for tracking deer. I will get loads of people on my back, but it's true. He will track deer in optimum conditions and find them. He has a good nose, brains, sharpness, everything. But he is to short in the leg. Imagine a lightly wounded red stag in a snow covered hill ans such a small dog wich has to find him and chase him to stop. ( hetzen in german)
    A GWP will also be very good, less calm in my opinion, but I like them a lot.

Get a dog you like the look of and has the right temperament to suit you. Don't buy a dog because it is the latest fashion item. Nothing worse than trying to train a dog that you don't realy like when things don't go to plan.
    I prefer Labs, I take my Lab Ty every where Stalking,rough shooting and lamping.

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199521_102417333174494_703478_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	26201