Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Quality on Sako 85 Hunter??

Walnut Quality on Sako 85 Hunter??

After a bit of browsing around, I'm thinking of getting a wood stocked Sako 85 Hunter, when funds are available in the future. I'm just wondering if the quality of walnut stock that comes with this model will vary significantly or not? Seems to always look fantastic on the GMK and Sako websites, but lots of the second hand stocks are rather bland! Seems a bit of a shame if you spend more than you would on a composite and the good looks don't shine through. I know walnut varies with shotguns, even at base level, so does this hold true to rifles as well?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated guys,

Charles
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    After a bit of browsing around, I'm thinking of getting a wood stocked Sako 85 Hunter, when funds are available in the future. I'm just wondering if the quality of walnut stock that comes with this model will vary significantly or not? Seems to always look fantastic on the GMK and Sako websites, but lots of the second hand stocks are rather bland! Seems a bit of a shame if you spend more than you would on a composite and the good looks don't shine through. I know walnut varies with shotguns, even at base level, so does this hold true to rifles as well?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated guys,

Charles
    Have you considered the laminated option? They add a bit of colour to the stock and also offer better weather resilience than the standard wooden one?

Go for a deluxe if you want a better bit of wood and bluing.

Or even the "classic" is fairly posh :-)

Being a natural product it obviously does vary and in my experience you need to see before you buy if you are looking for a stock / grain you like. This applies across shotguns and rifles of all makes IMO. I do have a Sako 85 but my recent experience was buying a CZ .17HMR and one of the five or six seen had much nicer wood although they were the same standard grade.

Sako walnut in my experience is nothing too spectacular in the grain but has proved stable to adverse weather. Personally I am happy with this.

Jamross, i have considered the laminate option too, still undecided but im not a huge fan of the stainless barrel, although im not ruling out anything at the moment.
    Mallettn, i think you have a point, but what happens if you order through GMK directly? Is it possible to go select one yourself? And if not when your order the rifle but arn't happy with the wood....is that sufficent reason to send it back? Sorry for all the questions lads!
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Jamross, i have considered the laminate option too, still undecided but im not a huge fan of the stainless barrel, although im not ruling out anything at the moment.
    Mallettn, i think you have a point, but what happens if you order through GMK directly? Is it possible to go select one yourself? And if not when your order the rifle but arn't happy with the wood....is that sufficent reason to send it back? Sorry for all the questions lads!
    I nowadays much prefer laminate to wood stocks less prone to marking and also less hassle looking after it to also so thumbs up for the laminate here....

All my Sako's have above average wood, nothing special, but nothing bad, bit of oil now and then helps keep em in good nick, I don't believe you'd get a bad un from sako, you get what you pay for, the 85 is a cracking rifle, well made and accurate

GMK will only sell to a RFD, you can't buy direct from them. I think it's pretty much of a lucky dip when ordering as to the figuring on the stock that turns up. As has already been pointed out many of the Sako stocks are fairly plain but are good straight grained stocks. Also as has already been mentioned some models have nicer looking stocks than others. I have a Sako 85 and have been very pleased with it, a cracking rifle straight out of the box. I took a fancy to mine because of the look of the stock but it started to look a bit washed out after a wet week in Scotland. It made me think that I should have gone for the synthetic but then a couple of minutes a day for the next few days with a little bit of boiled linseed oil and it was back as good as new.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.