Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking after fledgling roe populations

Looking after fledgling roe populations

Hi guys, I live and do a lot of my stalking in south Herefordshire where we have started, at long last, to see a few roe deer. However, as fast as they turn up they get shot. I suspect that some are being lost to poachers and have tried, in vain, to get plod to do something. I even had a picture on a trail cam of a bloke with shotgun on my ground along with postive ID and plod did F-all and this guy has been boasting of his poaching exploits to other locals. I have a good relationship with local FC but have more chance of sprouting a wooden c0ck than influencing their culling tactics which leaves other stalkers. What chance of getting legitimate stalkers to leave roe deer alone until established?

I am lucky to have some really good roe stalking on the Cotswolds so do not need to shoot the precious few round here and have never shot one in Herefordshire and won't until we'll established but am beginning to wonder who's the fool?

To illustrate the point, 7 or 8 on my ground in spring. Now not one. Unfortunately, all ground borders FC or other guys permissions and I fear the old problem of "if I don't shoot it, some other b#gger will" has taken hold.

Do any of you chaps have similar issues and any experience of getting a local agreement to give the deer a chance to get established?

Regards

Penyard

I don't think a workable agreement will ever be in place with your neighbours. My only comment would be that they did get to you and you had as many as 8 seen, you will see others it just may take a little longer to get to the sustainable numbers you require/ feel are right for your ground.
    There will undoughtedly be a few more about that you think there may be anyway I hope they prosper..

good luck

Hi Penyard,
    I am based over in the south west of Herefordshire. We have had the odd Roe and Muntjac for years! But they never seem to grow as a population? There was a a Roe doe lived on the next door farm for six or more years, it never had any kidds? It all seems like an never ending waiting game!!!! The locals are not shooting any, well I have not heard any stories. Basically its all very frustrating, like the boar seen 1 1/2 miles from my permission but never stray that far. Still muss'nt grumble!!
    Regards - K
    Last edited by karamoja; 27-01-2013 at 07:05.

Thanks Prometheus, I take your point and am sure we will see more in time. However, as I'm sure you will agree, roe are fairly territorial and, whilst they obviously do move about, it would unlikely for 8 different deer to suddenly abandon their usual haunts where they were showing up daily and never be seen again, apart from the one that turned up in the local butchers shop! I am resigned to the futility of the situation but I just think it is such a shame.

Karamoja, guess you have a few fallow? Similar here, a few munties that never come out of the woods, the disappearing roe, transient fallow and the odd boar so, like you say, mustn't grumble!

Thanks for your replies guys.

ATB

Penyard

Not everyone wants deer on their ground for sporting purposes.

I have had ground whereby the policy was to simply shoot roe whenever seen (females in season) because of the risk of damage to young plantings. There is no way the FC will sit back to allow a population to establish itself when they are trying to protect a crop so the folk roundabout can enjoy a new variance to their sport.

Does the photo from the trail cam allow for identification of the ground the bloke was on as well? If all it shows is a person identified or not but no proof of where the shot was taken,then how can the police act on it? It must be obvious where the person is to prove that he has no permission to be there.

As for roe appearing and then suddenly vanish, what time of year was it you started to see them? territorial or not in the spring you may see some showing up but could well be displaced youngsters. Did you get a good look to see if they were?

I'm afraid thats how it is all over the country mate. Whether its roe red or fallow. Some people have seen to want to kill anything new that enters that area. We had a few red in Yorkshire and they got smashed before they ever got chance to get established. It's the way some people are.

Same here....very few roe on a piece of ground far too near a big city with lots of dog lads about=no roe now
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I never thought there were any deer within 7 or 8 miles of me until a week ago I was asked by a farmer to clear some deer he has in one of his orchards, I've had a couple of recces this week and seen the deer twice, there are 3 Roe living in a small wood between 2 orchards.
    I would like to leave them to breed and grow the local population but the farmer wants them removed, my plan is to take a younger Doe to keep the farmer happy and then to leave the others in peace. He may insist they are all shot in which case what do I do ? Refuse and watch someone else shoot them and lose the ground or agree and destroy the chances of an increase in numbers, it's a catch 22 situation.
    Amazingly these Deer are just 1 1/2 miles from my house

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Not everyone wants deer on their ground for sporting purposes.

I have had ground whereby the policy was to simply shoot roe whenever seen (females in season) because of the risk of damage to young plantings. There is no way the FC will sit back to allow a population to establish itself when they are trying to protect a crop so the folk roundabout can enjoy a new variance to their sport.

Does the photo from the trail cam allow for identification of the ground the bloke was on as well? If all it shows is a person identified or not but no proof of where the shot was taken,then how can the police act on it? It must be obvious where the person is to prove that he has no permission to be there.

As for roe appearing and then suddenly vanish, what time of year was it you started to see them? territorial or not in the spring you may see some showing up but could well be displaced youngsters. Did you get a good look to see if they were?
    Jamross, the deer comprised 2 does with kids, mature bucks as well as a couple of juveniles. I have been doing this long enough to know they didn't all just pack their bags and move to pastures new. They were on 3 different farms within couple of miles but all bordering various other ground. I realise that us stalkers are a broad church but see myself as a manager of the balance, a countryman and not a contract killer of every last deer. Have been asked to shoot roe out of season, boar with small piglets and always refused. Others didn't.

So far as poacher goes, he was not stood in front of a local land mark but it was clear where he was. FEO was keen for action, local rural crime officer did precisely nothing, missed 3 appointments and failed to follow up despite several reminders.

Just wish others locally would leave the roe alone to establish rather than knock the **** out of them. Once established then of course manage and harvest but this still looks a long way off to me. I am no bunny hugger and kill my fair share but would love to see our native deer where they belong to be and my land owners agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jonty h View Post
    I never thought there were any deer within 7 or 8 miles of me until a week ago I was asked by a farmer to clear some deer he has in one of his orchards, I've had a couple of recces this week and seen the deer twice, there are 3 Roe living in a small wood between 2 orchards.
    I would like to leave them to breed and grow the local population but the farmer wants them removed, my plan is to take a younger Doe to keep the farmer happy and then to leave the others in peace. He may insist they are all shot in which case what do I do ? Refuse and watch someone else shoot them and lose the ground or agree and destroy the chances of an increase in numbers, it's a catch 22 situation.
    Amazingly these Deer are just 1 1/2 miles from my house
    Tough call mate have had several similar requests. All I can suggest is take the young doe if you think necessary and try to educate farmer that roe will not form big herds and if numbers get out of hand you will sort it. Depends on how amenable farmer is. Good luck.