Politically correct?

captdavid

I taught high school World History for 25yrs. I am somewhat of an Anglophile, and espically intrested in the Plantagenets and Tudors. I have always refered to your island as Great Britian and your people as British. Is this politically correct? Of course I also call that city in Turkey, Constantinople. Capt david

I have always refered to your island as Great Britian

Yes, though the usual spelling is Britain

and your people as British.

Given the influx from the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia then more recently the EU migrants from Eastern Europe and the Balkans, plus of course the asylum seekers from anywhere at all (even those whose applications for asylum are rejected seem to manage to stay on), it is open to debate whether the people can any longer be called British.

We do however, for the purpose of preserving the native stock, have laws against releasing non-native species of deer.

Our Island is indeed called Great Britain. The term United Kingdom refers to Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
There are a hardcore of people who do not like to be called British. These tend to be Nationalists and look on themselves as English, Scots, Welsh or Irish.
We are all however British wether some like it or not.
Yorkie.

As a 'nation' yes, it is Britain and British.
CpatainDavid, I'm sure that you didn't intend to do so, but you may have opened up an old 'argument' regarding whether we are English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish.
Personally, (I'm not 'hardcore') I consider myself to be English; England, as stated, is a country in and of itself, which exists within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
'Great Britain' is in essence an adminstrative title which came into when the English Kings 'defeated' the other nations of this island, and took their lands for themselves.
I may be wrong, but isn't that a similar thing to America, originally, each state considering itself to be 'sovereign' ie. a country in its own right?

This is always an interesting one, especially in Ireland where some people have strong feelings.

I think the confusion often occurs between the physical geography and the political geography. The British Isles are the two main islands of Great Britain and Ireland plus a range of other smaller islands in the same general area. Great Britain is the big island, hence the name, and so only includes England, Scotland and Wales. Purely in terms of physical geography I'd guess anyone living anywhere on those islands could be said to be British though some people, especially those in Ireland, might not care for this.

So, there are British people outside of the island of Great Britain.

I guess this is similar to the North American situation where people in the USA and Canada might both be referred to as American on the basis of physical geography but the political geography puts them in different countries.

I don't care how many migrants there is.

Any one born within the united kindom of great britan and northern Ireland is BIRTISH. this also covers the Queens subjects in places like the Falkland islands.

As for nationality!
I am a english man living and born in the ancient kingdom of Wessex.
It is safe to say that there is almost no native britains.

As we have been a mongrel island for a very, very long time.

Ever since the last ice age in fact.

The British gene is shared with southern Spain and France. As the ice receded and more ground was exposed the migration from those areas pushed further north.

Even the monarchy is not native as the bloodline. is not a direct lineage from the ancient kingdoms.

Last edited:
I am a pure bred English man (can trace my direct line back to the year 923) who lives in Great Britain.

I don't care how many migrants there is.

Any one born within the united kindom of great britan and northern Ireland is BIRTISH. this also covers the Queens subjects in places like the Falkland islands.

As for nationality!
I am a english man living and born in the ancient kingdom of Wessex.
It is safe to say that there is almost no native britains.

As we have been a mongrel island for a very, very long time.

Ever since the last ice age in fact.

The British gene is shared with southern Spain and France. As the ice receded and more ground was exposed the migration from those areas pushed further north.

Even the monarchy is not native as the bloodline. is not a direct lineage from the ancient kingdoms.

Whats BIRTISH is that the new description of the population of ENGLAND.

A dog born in a stable is not a horse that is some peoples way of thinking.

We are very much a Great Britain, as for the comments about immigrants degrading our society and not being able to call it British anymore see below the previous invasions of Britain that make up our oh so pure lineage:

55BC - Roman's invade and occupy.
410AD - German's invade - Angles, Saxons and Jutes.
793AD - Vikings invade from Denmark and Norway.
1064AD - Normans invade from France.
1069AD - Danish have another go.
1215AD - French have another go.

You get the picture, our blood is a mixture of North European and native British Isles blood, not pure thoroughbred like some idiotic BNP types would have you believe.

You get the picture, our blood is a mixture of North European and native British Isles blood, not pure thoroughbred like some idiotic BNP types would have you believe.

Nice I just got labeled a idiotic BNP type. :lol:

The last invasion of modern Britain was 1066 the last 2 don't count.

For me modern Britain came about after the Norman invasion. Before 1066, my family was Norman, then we invaded and we became British. :D

Nice I just got labeled a idiotic BNP type.

The last invasion of modern Britain was 1066 the last 2 don't count.

Not at all mate, I was writing that before you posted. Ive had heated discussions with narrow minded friends that live locally about this, one of whom has spent his saturdays handing out BNP literature in our local town centre, not a personal dig at you. Apologies if it sounded that way!

Sadly today officially being "British" just mean that one has acquired a "British Passport" and see ing as how they seem to be given ut not in Cornflake packets as free gifts they and the term mean little today.

Not at all mate, I was writing that before you posted. Ive had heated discussions with narrow minded friends that live locally about this, one of whom has spent his saturdays handing out BNP literature in our local town centre, not a personal dig at you. Apologies if it sounded that way!

I edited as you where writing that, I was joking, so no worries.

As posted we are a right mixed bunch, my passport says Scot/ Brit, so Scots first British second.

The actual Britons once covered brittany,cornwall ,wessex,wales ,right up to me here in highland perthshire where they were busy kicking and having lumps kicked off them by the Picts , until the " jonny come lately" Scots from ireland, wieghed in and took over and everything went Gaelic for awhile.

MY personal feelings are, I don't feel the need to label someone as to whether their a 'proper' British person or not. If someone wishes to come here, contribute to our communities (even set their own community up as is the case in many towns and cities), work here or whatever they come to do, then that's fine. We should be glad and indeed proud that we have a country that is so Great that we're the envy of the less fortunate in the World.

Yes, though the usual spelling is Britain

Given the influx from the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia then more recently the EU migrants from Eastern Europe and the Balkans, plus of course the asylum seekers from anywhere at all (even those whose applications for asylum are rejected seem to manage to stay on), it is open to debate whether the people can any longer be called British.

We do however, for the purpose of preserving the native stock, have laws against releasing non-native species of deer.

Influx that certainly bang on, time the influx went home ,asylum seekers yeah right "spongers wrecking or social security system" which is leaving a short fall for those, that work to put in for there old age,now the pension age has risen to of set this . We now come to the benefit junkies that sponge all there life, never want for anything, while some pensioners who paid in all there working life get washers in return,having to sell any assets they had to furnish there old age .

Its about time this country stop playing at it, and do something positive, we neither need or require asylum seekers or a influx or forgen workers when we have so many of our own out of work and on benefits, theres a job for everyone out there no matter how disabled you or they are .

It certainly doesnt pay to be working or to be a British subject .,in our all new multi cultured society but it does pay if you an asylum seeker of a benefit scrounger .

Last edited:
Back