Thread: How would you cook it?

How would you cook it?

I have about a two pound elk backstrap. I'm not sure what you call them, loin? If you had this, what would be a UK way to cook it? Please try to keep it fairly simple. FWIW, I have killed several red hinds and the meat taste is so similar to be as to be indistinguishable.

capt david

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    I have about a two pound elk backstrap. I'm not sure what you call them, loin? If you had this, what would be a UK way to cook it? Please try to keep it fairly simple. FWIW, I have killed several red hinds and the meat taste is so similar to be as to be indistinguishable.

capt david
    capt, my favourite way to cook loin is to simply pan fry it. I would cut into portion sizes then as I said pan fry them but make sure they are well seasoned. Another way you could cook it wrap it in parma ham or a similar type of hame seal the meat in a pan and roast in the oven until cooked to your liking. Let the meat rest in the cooking pan once rested remove the meat and put the pan back on the cooker, add a little chicken stock (you can use beef if you wish) I prefer a 50/50 mix of both, some recurrent sauce or cranberry sauce simmer and reduce. Dont be afraid to use booze e.g. red wine or Marsalla in your sauce just put it into the pan 1st and give it a little time to burn the alcohol of.

nutty

i tried anew style the other week i covered it in english mustard realy thick all over and then cooked as normal in the oven
    it forms a crusty coating which you just peel/break off realy easy

thee end result was a realy good nice juicy piece of meat and not any taste of mustard, i,m not a mustard fan and was told it wouldn't taint the meat it just keeps it juicy.
    well it did and i,ll be using this way again.

or wrapp in cheap bacon then crumble the bacon into the gravy afterwards is a good way.

stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

nutty...
    That is the way that I cooked some a couple of nights ago, I looking for ways to roast it.

rav...
    sounds interesting.

Wrap it in blue cheese and bacon, put it in a foil parcel and roast it in the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    nutty...
    That is the way that I cooked some a couple of nights ago, I looking for ways to roast it.

rav...
    sounds interesting.
    Thats why I gave u 2 ways..

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    Wrap it in blue cheese and bacon, put it in a foil parcel and roast it in the oven.
    Spot on.
    `ere .. you bin lookin` at my recipes??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.