Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: going lead free?

going lead free?

Just been having a conversation with a friend up North a ways a bit, a little about this lead free bullet business cropped up, cutting to the chase..... Anybody have any knowledge of what the Lead free solder is composed of,? (the stuff Plumbers have to use now on potable water systems)... similar in weight to Lead?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

tin (sn ) silver (ag) copper (CU) may also have zinc and a few other exotic metals for different applications.( we will not be seeing cheap lead free bullets thats for sure.)

Fight "lead free" legislation tooth and nail. California didn't, now they can't use .22LRs in large portions of the state and green components are very expensive with a thin selection.~Muir

Maybe its time to contact SACS-BASC-NGO etc to see if they are going to fight and campaign against this
    after all do we want a ban like lead shot over wetlands that was imposed on us with very litttle evidence and was pushed by Anti shooting groups it will be another nail in the coffin for shooting and once passed in scotland will then become law for the rest of us in the UK and probably be extended to target shooting.
    United We Stand Divided We Fall.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Maybe its time to contact SACS-BASC-NGO etc to see if they are going to fight and campaign against this
    after all do we want a ban like lead shot over wetlands that was imposed on us with very litttle evidence and was pushed by Anti shooting groups it will be another nail in the coffin for shooting and once passed in scotland will then become law for the rest of us in the UK and probably be extended to target shooting.
    United We Stand Divided We Fall.
    Many of us did that six months ago Pat including lobbying M.P.s, E.M.P. and assembly members.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

+1 on that
    go to any game show and get in there faces be it basc or other we need them to fight for us and not roll over this time

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Fight "lead free" legislation tooth and nail. California didn't, now they can't use .22LRs in large portions of the state and green components are very expensive with a thin selection.~Muir

best way to reduce the number of the gun owning population is to ban lead bullets and shot and to help it along by throwing in some good old health and safety. the fc have started this in scotland with all the talk about lead fragments in shot deer. how did we ever live before health and safety i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Many of us did that six months ago Pat including lobbying M.P.s, E.M.P. and assembly members.
    8x57 that maybe the case so what was the outcome to all your lobbying and what are the Pro Shooting groups doing about it?
    lets hope abit more than in the past.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Countryside Alliance are working hard on this issue but I fear the others seem to be a bit apathetic. Without any doubt the lead ban would be the most serious threat to shooting overall there has been in this country. It would have a tremendous impact on shooting sports across the board, I am amazed at the reluctance shown by some shooters and organisations to fight this threat.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    8x57 that maybe the case so what was the outcome to all your lobbying and what are the Pro Shooting groups doing about it?
    lets hope abit more than in the past.
    I received lengthy replies from both my assembly member and european parliament member stating that while certain groups were proposing legislation nothing definate was on the cards for some time and that they were investigating and watching the situation carefully. I had a responce from my M.P. that basically said nothing and was not much more than an ackowledgement. I think all the shooting organisations are switched on to the possible threat and are approaching it from slightly different angles and urgency. I am sure that if you look back through the site you will find previous postings on the subject. Once again it's not a matter of leaving everything to your shooting organisation it is up to us to do something about it. We have to stay eternally vigilant to any threats to shooting and actualy do something ourselves. Just look at what happened with W.H. Smith and The Sun newspaper when shooters actually get off their backsides and complain.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.