Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 70 .243

Winchester 70 .243

Looking for some advice on this rifle. I am looking at purchasing my first .243 rifle and like the look of the Winchester 70. I have read that they are under rated here in the UK but can anyone help me out. Is it a good rifle , are they accurate, reliable etc etc. Will be using for deer stalking maybe 3-4 times a year but mainly for foxing. I was looking at a Mannlicher or the Tika but I have thought that purchasing a lower priced rifle which the Winchester is and then investing in better glass to begin with then maybe later getting the Mannlicher or Tika in a couple of years. What's everyones opinion. Help really appreciated

They are good solid rifles.

So long as the barrel isn't shot out (which is something to be wary of in used 243's)

I'd look at a few rifle manufacturers trying each for fit and comfort before deciding though....

Got a winchester coyote lite in .308 can't fault it for accuracy bought it new

I had a Winchester model 70 featherweight some years back a nice enough rifle but not quite in the same sort of class as the various Tikkas I have owned. The stock warped on my featherweight and despite several attempts to remedy it I eventually decided to replace the rifle. I wouldn't be put off ever buying one again but it would have to be in a reasonable quality synthetic stock.
    Have you looked at a Browning A-bolt? I bought one recently as a replacement for a shot out Tikka and after sorting the trigger out which isn't too difficult I am more than happy with it. Good value for money in my opinion and the synthetic stock while not the best is certainly stiffer than those on many off the peg rifles.
    Last edited by 8x57; 27-01-2013 at 09:09.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I had a Winchester model 70 featherweight some years back a nice enough rifle but not quite in the same sort of class as the various Tikkas I have owned. The stock warped on my featherweight and despite several attempts to remedy it I eventually decided to replace the rifle. I wouldn't be put off ever buying one again but it would have to be in a reasonable quality synthetic stock.
    Have you looked at a Browning A-bolt? I bought one recently as a replacement for a shot out Tikka and after sorting the trigger out which isn't too difficult I am more than happy with it. Good value for money in my opinion and the synthetic stock while not the best is certainly stiffer than those on many off the peg rifles.
    Is the A bolt the older one to the X bolt? Can you get the A bolt in wood stock and also what cost are they new?

hi lucky sniper i had a A BOLT in 243 wooden great rifle had it 22 years got a bit worn out so got myself a tikka, my a bolt cost £800 from d crockart of stirling all them years ago. i think you will get one new froM about £350 TO £400now. all the best david ps yes the a bolt is the older one.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    There's a Win 70 stealth on here for sale. Admittedly it's .308 but having had one they are very good and had it been his .243 i'd have taken his arm off as I already have a .308
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Sniper View Post
    Is the A bolt the older one to the X bolt? Can you get the A bolt in wood stock and also what cost are they new?
    As Scotlanddeerstalking says the A bolt is the older model and can be bought new now for just over £400. I know of a few people who have had problems with the newer X bolt mainly due to the scope mounts not lining up properly. It seems that Miroku who make the A bolt took a bit more care?

When I was buying my A-bolt I saw a couple of A-bolts in laminated stocks in .308win and they really looked the part. Have a look at the Howa or Weatherby also, they are good rifles for the money though the A-bolt does seem to be a particularly good buy at the moment if buying new.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I've owned several Winchester Model 70's over the years . Both Pre 64 and Post 64 .

And with that being said I prefer the Pre 64 guns . I've had Pre 64 Model 70's in 22 Hornet , 220 Swift , 243 WIN and 264 Win Mag . Had two of the Pre 64's in 243 one was a Featherweight from about 1960 and the other was a Varmint from 1956 , the Swift was a Varmint from 1960 as well . All of these guns shot nicely with handloads . Killed a pile of deer with the 264 Win Mag and piles of groundhogs with the pair of Varmint guns as well as a few with the Hornet .

As to Post 64 Model 70's I "had" a Black Shadow in 325 WSM that was a very nice shooter , however to get it to suit me I had to put a RifleBasix trigger in the gun . Had another from the same time period in 25 WSSM this one was stainless and it shot amazingly well with handloaded Nosler 115 grain BT's . Back about 1995 I got a then new Model 70 Classic in 25-06 with the claw extractor , that one may have been a single incident but that thing was better suited to be a boat anchor .

The newest Model 70 I've owned was the 25 WSSM and that was maybe 7 years ago , so with that being said I have no experience with the latest Modle 70's that were made in South Carolina .

As to the Brownings I have messed with several of the A Bolt's . The only one I ever owned was a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel that shot sabot slugs rather well .

Of the A Bolt rifles I've messed with a good many of them shot well and some others didn't . I have less experience with the X Bolt but have shot a couple of them that did nicely .

Personally I have never cared for the A Bolt or X Bolt . That low bolt throw or whatever one cares to call it I never did care for . Also they're not as easy to get after market parts as say a Remington 700 or even the Model 70 .